General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ancient alarm system preventing car from starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:55 AM
out4ya
Unregistered
Default Ancient alarm system preventing car from starting

Hi
I have a 1993 Honda Accord LX.
I took my car out of my driveway and the engine shut down after 20 feet. It cranks but does not turn over afterwards. I had a mechanic come by he checked the battery, alternator and timing belt. They were all fine. When attempting to start the car, there was no spark from the spark plugs. We have reason to believe that the ancient alarm system was still active because when removing a fuse from the Intelliguard wiring, it does not crank at all. The wiring at first glance runs from the driver side through the hood to a cylinder part right next to the fusebox and to the red connector to the battery.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find the causes of the car not wanting to turn over. I plan to replace the distributor cap and rotor.

Thank you for any input!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

A faulty security system can cause this problem. If you can live without the alarm system, remove it from the car. If that fixes the problem, then you solved your problem.

If not, we can give you other suggestions on how to diagnose the problem.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:03 PM
out4ya
Unregistered

I would really appreciate other diagnostics since I would need a professional to remove the security system. I was leaning towards changing the distributor cap, and rotor.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

I suggest that you first get a cheapo test light and check for power at the Black/yellow wire going to the coil, when the key is turned on.
The alarm system might be shutting off power to the coil/ignitor.
No sense in throwing part$ at a problem.