General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Answers maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Audiophile69
Unregistered
Default Answers maybe??

I have read through this entire forum and many others and have seen that many people are in the same situation i am. My G/F's 88 LX carbed is doing the whole stalling out while driving thing. Usually between 2500 and 3000 rpm's. Seems like the more gas you give it the more it wants to stall out. I did notice that something is wrong with the cooling system. During stand still idle the car is fine ...no stall no studder...normal operating temp and all. Just like it should be. However, when i start driving after a couple mins the temp gauge almost literally shuts down, thats how cool the the temp gets. I know its not the sensor...already replaced it..still same issue. You can feel the air get cool in the cabin so i know the temps dropping. I usually don't have any problems for the first 15 mins of driving but then all h*ll breaks loose. The bucking bull syndrome, backfiring, and stumbling. I know many people have or are still experiencing this and I would just like to know where is the best place to start looking. I seem to get all the same threads..fuel pump, vaccum leaks, pcv,tune-up, t-stat, carb issues...all the same stuff. All i want to know is if there was one thing that one person or other people have done that have solved their problem. I mean could the cooling system problem be causing and erratic response of the carb? I am not familiar with the setup on this car but i know the old domestics had the choke thermostat and were greatly affected by temps of the engine. I believe her t-stat is stuck open. I haven't checked the fuel pump pressure yet but i am going to when i can locate a tester around me that goes low enough to get the a reading. I work at Advance Auto and the only thing we have starts at 6lbs. Well i will stop now and turn it over to you pros and hope i get some good advice. You all seem to be great and helpful so any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Also note that this problem started after her father had replaced the Valve Cover Gasket. he works at the local chevy garage but i am thinking that he may have unplugged or tore one of the vaccum lines when he took the air cleaner box off to get the cover off. I'll check on that too but until then as said before any input would be great. thanks again!

Old 02-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Default RE: Answers maybe??

I have heard of this on other vehicles (besides Honda) that this was a problem. It has been the t-stat. When the engine temp is not right it has an effect on the rest of the engine. I am not sure about Honda, but from experience it has been the t-stat.