General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any info would be great

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 PM
rcr858
Unregistered
Default any info would be great

1998 accord dx 210k ok so I have been trying to fix a misfire on cylinder #3 for about 2 weeks so today got the car to a shop and got a full scan done and was told I got misfire on 1,2 and 3 and then that it was my head gasket so I want to know if this is right because I’m only getting code p0303 from the car when jumping the to pins to read the check engin light but I do get the sweet smell from the exost and white smoke as well but no oil in the rad and no water in the oil so could it still be the head gasket

Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You may want to do a compression test on all four cylinders. You would be looking for low compression and low between adjoining cylinders. White smoker is water. My 1995 blew a head gasket and still ran but would overheat if left to idle for a long time. With the radiator cap off and engine cold would shoot coolant out of the radiator when cranking. It had no mixing of coolant and oil and strangely never smoked.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:27 AM

did they do a leak down test??? how did they determine that head gasket was blown ?? has radiator been low on coolant ??

you do not always get the sweet smell from the tail pipe or white smoke when head gasket is blown ............

Old 10-21-2009, 08:11 AM
rcr858
Unregistered

no they didnt do a compression test or a leak down test all he did was look at the spark plugs and the car has not over heated since i got it about 3 weeks ago and i have left it to idel for 15 to 20 min a couple of times now but i will do a compression test my self this but if it is the head gasket i would have to order one in so do any of the stop leak stuff work on a temp basis or as long as it takes to get the gasket in ??? or is it all crap and the rad has been full the hole time i just put some stop leak in there that a parts guy told me to try and i had to pull the drain plug to let out some antifreeze out to get it in the rad

Last edited by rcr858; 10-21-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM

don't use any of that stop leak crap..............do a leak down test as well as a compression test

Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 PM

If you have coolant on the spark plugs which I had you have a blown head gasket. My Accord with the head gasket blown was only had, hard starting, the plugs wet with coolant, and the Radiator fan would not come on every time. It drove fine didn’t smoke, but with the head off it was pretty warped.