General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Any tips on oil pan gasket replacement?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Any tips on oil pan gasket replacement?

Maybe this'll help someone who finds this thread by searching... I'vebeentoldPermatex "Ultra-Grey" is the stuff.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 AM

Guys, I have a question about "PB blaster".

1. What is PB blaster? Is it liquid wrench?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

PB-Blaster is very much like Liquid Wrench. Blaster seems to work a bit better, but maybe that's my imagination.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 AM

What i did was tighten all the pan bolts to "hand tight" in the correct order, then go back and "hand tighten them all again. Then I torqued tem to 6 ft lbs in the correct order, then retorqued at that setting again. Then I torqued to 10 ft lbs in the correct order and retorqued again. It takes a while but works very well. After 1 week I went under again and retorqued them to 10 ft lbs. I would guess that the heat and cool cycle compressed the gasket as they were all about 8 ft lbs when I retorqued them to 10.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Maybe this'll help someone who finds this thread by searching... I'vebeentoldPermatex "Ultra-Grey" is the stuff.
I used Permatex non-hardening gasket sealer. It worked very well. Just don't use a whole bunch of it (or anything else) or you risk the gasket slipping or squishing out. The most important places are the 90* corners (both sides of the gasket) at the rear main cap.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:19 AM

One thing I learned from doing this recently, is to buy a genuine Honda oil pan gasket. I bought aftermarket at first, and the holes didnt exactlymatch with the studs.Also, the Honda gasket appeared to be better quality.

Isprayed3M adhesive on the block (which is a recommended methond from this forum) to ensure the gasket didn't move when I tightened the bolts, this worked nice. Although, I used a torque wrench (10ftlbs) for the gasket, I still got a littledistortion (ripple)in the gasket, which made it appear that it was overtightened. I was concerned about this. It has been at least a month, and I don't have the slightest leak.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 PM

I have purchased the HONDA gasket and will be installing it.

?? What is this about the 3M spray? I must have missed that. How and what do I apply that to? What will it do for my installation process?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't use that adhesive when replacinga pan gasket.

It helps hold the gasket in place as you fit the pan up against the bottom of the crankcase. Without it you'll need to be carefulbecause the gasket can move out of position as you install all the bolts around the pan.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 AM

Jim, I will be putting the front tires up on cinder blocks with the jack stands also under for safety (just giving you a picture of my working environment). Being a moderately to pretty handy mechanic, about how long of a job is this to do? I am trying to set up a time frame to do it in.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: MikeT

I have purchased the HONDA gasket and will be installing it.

?? What is this about the 3M spray? I must have missed that. How and what do I apply that to? What will it do for my installation process?
I think DesertHonda has a post in the DIY section. If you use the spray, make sure you have a piece of cardboard to ride along the inside of block to prevent the spray from entering the engine. The sprayworks slick. After you spray, the gasket won't fall, butis still moveable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any tips on oil pan gasket replacement?