General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempt to steal 1997 honda accord.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Unhappy Attempt to steal 1997 honda accord.

This last weekend i was at a shopping center for almost two hours and when i came out to try and stick my key in the ignition i feel nothing but cables and the plastic compartment broken , aparently the "car thief" had no time since the wiring still seems intact the only thing i believe is missing is the Ignition cylinder from what i can see , what was strange to me was the fact the radio face was still there and so where my speakers . The fuse box was also opened which i believe he did to try and cut a cable for the imaginary alarm he thought i had. He got in throught the window cus it was pulled out and the metal piece right by the top of the door was plucked up.

Im not complaining because it reduces the cost it just all seemed strange to me, i filed a police report and the cop also told me i needed just the ignition cylinder but before i order the part i need your help and tell me if you believe anything else is missing or if i need to replace the whole system. im uploading some pics under.

Attached Thumbnails Attempt to steal 1997 honda accord.-carpics.jpg   Attempt to steal 1997 honda accord.-carpics2.jpg   Attempt to steal 1997 honda accord.-capics3.jpg  
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like you are going to need #5 in the pic. Kind of hard to tell from your pic's.

Attached Thumbnails Attempt to steal 1997 honda accord.-5th-gen-switch-key-combin.jpg  
Old 09-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Anyone know whether 1997 has immobilizer? If so...

Depending on how you do this, you might need to get the cylinder re-keyed or get the immobilizer reprogrammed to accept the new key.

Re-key...
Get a new lock cylinder, but take it to a locksmith who can re-arrange the tumblers so it accepts your old key. Now the immobilizer will recognize & accept the old key.

Or...
Get a new lock cylinder (with keys). The car's immobilizer won't accept the new key, so it'll have to be reprogrammed. Some locksmiths can do that, or take it to a dealer. Then you'll still have different key for ignition & old keys for doors.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 PM

@poorman those are the best shots i could get of it, ill try uploading some more tommorow

@Jim blake, yea i was told i would have to get it reproggramed, i just im not sure if ima have to tow it to the dealer or if it could be done at my home because i have no way of starting up the car, and im thinking about gettingh the lock cylinder with a set of keys off ebay.

Once i get this cylinder does it just fit in and i can start it right up?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Before... did the cluster have a little green idiot light in the shape of a key? If so, then it's got an immobilizer. There's an antenna around the key cylinder - make sure that isn't chewed up by the thief.

Get the cylinder & try it. Best case it'll start up. Actually, if you keep both old (doors) and new (ignition) keys on the same key ring, then the immobilizer might just pick up the original & allow it to start.

I assume you've checked for damage in the electrical part of the igntion switch? (#14 in Poorman's picture)

Old 09-26-2011, 09:21 PM

I dont see any damage what so ever to any switchm it all plugs in, some of them where disconnected but plugged right back in, i didnt find any cables on the floor. or anything neither cut up cables.