General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Honda Accord Not Starting on First Attempt (Intermittently)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Default 2003 Honda Accord Not Starting on First Attempt (Intermittently)

Within the past 4 months ~5 times my car has not started on the first time, but starts on the 2nd try. It cranks very slow and then stops. I had the battery replaced about 6 months ago.

It seems to happen when I drive my car farther distances and letting it sit over night (an hour or more from my home) or if the car sits for a week (I went on vacation for a week and came back and it didn't start on the first try).

I have taken it into the honda dealer and they have done a charge system test and everything has come back "normal" (i.e. starter, battery, etc.).
The service guy stated to hold the key at least 7 seconds if/when it happens again, which I did when I tried to start it up after being on vacation and it still didn't turn over on the first shot.
I have taken it in a second time so the service guy could drive home and let it sit over night (he lives about 45 minutes from the service station) but did not experience any starting issues.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

if it's an automatic trans 2.4L, then it's probably the wonderful Mitsuba starter going out on you. had a similar issue. had all the symptoms of a bad battery, but turned out to be the starter. i wasn't the first, you aren't the second and we won't be the last with this problem. i rebuilt mine, but you can just get a remanf. unit feeling secure that it will probably fail again sometime in the future

Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Thanks Jeff for the reply. Yes, it is an LX automatic 2.4L. Can a starter have a false positive when they tested it? Is it better to replace it now or wait until it starts happening more frequently? or does will the starter just stop working and then the car won't start?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

When it does work like it's supposed to, yes nothing wrong will be detected. Might as well get it done now before it leaves you stuck. In the meantime, keep a 18" socket extension in the trunk, if it won't start, look down between the intake runners and you'll see the starter...smack it with the extension, that will probably get you going.

When I had mine apart the brushes were almost completely gone, installed new brush kit, cleaned it up and reassembled...been good ever since.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 AM

Good Advice Doc Drivability

"false positive" mmm.. sounds like your in the medical profession. (I am married to a nurse)

but we understand what you mean.. that's what counts.

If it cranks slowly.. cold.. but after it warms up it spins quickly...then the diag for starter is probably your first choice.

before replacing starter.. just for fun.. check your starter cables for cleanlyness. Clean accordingly.. sand away any corrosion,,and see if it changes.

Brian B