General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Accord EX starting intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 99 Accord EX starting intermittently

I have an issue with my 99 Accord EX. The shifter will not come out of Park and the engine turns over without any spark or trying to start. I have been able to tap the shift lever (more into park sort of) and turn the key on and off and when the shift lever can move, then the car will start. Yesterday I could not get it to shift out of Park and the car would not start. I tried it this morning and it started right up. It was extremely warm inside the car yesterday and because I had the windows up while at work, I am wondering if the steering coluum heated up and some contacts did not mate properly?. I came out of work today and it would not start. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by blkgolfer1; 06-05-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Kind of sounds like the elect part of the key switch is giving out? Do you have a volt meter or test light to do some tests when the car "acts up"?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Kind of sounds like the elect part of the key switch is giving out? Do you have a volt meter or test light to do some tests when the car "acts up"?
Yes I have a fluke to do the voltage/resistance checks. I pulled the Main relay last night and checked the solder connections on the circuit board. I found some joints that were questionable and re-soldered them. I put the relay back in and so far so good it started up and ran well. Will be able to tell more when the car heats up during the middle of the day and I will give an update then. Thank you for the response!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update.....too many times we never know the end of the story.

Yes, the main relay will not allow the fuel pump to run....no fuel, no run . Sorry, I "keyed" on the statement you made about no spark - I took that as no spark from the plugs.

Keep us updated but I'm guessing you are good to go after "fixing" the main relay

Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Thanks for the update.....too many times we never know the end of the story.

Yes, the main relay will not allow the fuel pump to run....no fuel, no run . Sorry, I "keyed" on the statement you made about no spark - I took that as no spark from the plugs.

Keep us updated but I'm guessing you are good to go after "fixing" the main relay
Well, it was over 80 outside and with the windows up on the car I can only imagine the temp inside, I do know that it was much hotter than that. The car started right up and over this weekend it has started every time! Very happy and glad to get the issue figured out. Thanks to everyone that helped on this forum to give us DIY'ers the directions we sometimes need to get things corrected.