General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

auto problem 96 2.2 aerodeck

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Code 1 is electrical fault in LockUp Solenoid A circuit, disconnected, wiring fault, or faulty solenoid.

Code 3 is electrical fault in throttle angle sensor circuit, disconnected, wiring fault, or faulty sensor.

Code 8 is electrical fault in shift control solenoid B circuit, disconnected, wiring fault, or faulty solenoid.

Three electrical faults is possible, but I would look for a common cause; wiring damage or someone worked on trans and left them disconnected. Check the wiring from trans computer to firewall and firewall to solenoids and sensor carefully for possible damage. Remove connector at each component and inspect for damage, dirt, oil. Clean as necessary.

If all looks good, I would check the solenoids for ohms. They should have 12-24 ohms resistance measure from loose connector pins.

If you haven't downloaded a manual, I would suggest doing so. This will have diagnostics page for each of these faults. Much more detailed than my instructions.

good luck

Old 08-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Default checked wiring

checked wiring for electrical fault in LockUp Solenoid A circuit, disconnected, wiring fault, or faulty solenoid.

checked wiring for Code 8 is electrical fault in shift control solenoid B circuit, disconnected, wiring fault, or faulty solenoid.

everything looks fine couldnt check for continuity on throttle sensor to TCU as cables on multimeter wont reach!

checked circuit from plug on TCU right to solenoids and back to TCU everything OK, also disconnected plug on solenoids and checked them, again resistance readings OK

only thing I can think of is TCU unit itself? Had an offer from an electronics company to refurb/repair for £40 doyou think its worth it?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:38 PM

I would go for the refurbished TCU. That price sounds reasonable. There are so few cases I've seen posted of failed TCU's that I'm always skeptical of failed TCU or ECU. However, I don't have any further suggestions of alternatives. You have two simple solenoid circuits that are shown as faulty w/ no faults external to the TCU. That leaves damage to the TCU as only possible solution that I can see.

You might examine the TCU when removed to see if the connector to the wiring harness has any apparent damage; bent pins, damaged circuit board, etc.

good luck

Old 08-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

have you checked the fluid level?? is fluid clean?? black ?? if fluid is very dirty. first thing i would do is to replace it ..if fluid is low there might be a leak.

but it sounds like the tranny is toast..assuming there is fluid in it ..

Old 08-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Default tranny is toast

Originally Posted by deserthonda
have you checked the fluid level?? is fluid clean?? black ?? if fluid is very dirty. first thing i would do is to replace it ..if fluid is low there might be a leak.

but it sounds like the tranny is toast..assuming there is fluid in it ..
are you saying it cant just be faulty transmission control unit?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Default code 13

reset and reconnected everything to check codes one last time -
now getting codes 1-3-8-13

according to manual code 13 only applies to KH models, which from a quick online search, this means high altitude USA models - apparently this spec has barometric sensor! Went to check wiring anyway just in case as per manual instructions and the wiring is not there for this fault (ie wire color/pin as per manual is not there to even check!) so I presume my car is not even fitted with barometric sensor so how can it be faulty!!!!!!

Going to go for refurb TCM I think

Old 08-08-2009, 06:49 AM

Sorry for delayed response. I've been on vacation.

Are the codes TCU codes flashed by D4 or ECU codes flashed by Check Engine Light? The 90 manual I have shows no TCU code 13. If D4 is flashing this, it may be further confirmation of faulty TCU.

ECU code 13 is indeed barometric pressure sensor. The barometric sensor is in the ECU. My 90 Accord manual doesn't say anything about model variations.

IMO, the TCU codes (all of them) arise strictly from electrical faults sensed by TCU. The condition, bad or good, of the trans is not included.

good luck

Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Question code 13

Texashonda - thanks for your continueing help - have attached code chart for 94-97 autobox so you can see code 13.

Reset and reconnected everything today just on the off chance that fault may have fixed itself! However, exactly the same - everything works fine for about 2 minutes then drive completely disappears as if in neutral and fault codes return

I am fairly convinced the TCU is at least partly to blame, however when I contacted the company who offered to refurbish/repair TCU for £40 it turns out to be a bit of a con - the £40 is jsut for them to check board and all repairs needed are extra, so after you pay the £40 they have you over a barrel!!!

Not sure what to do now as the cost of a TCU from Honda UK runs into hundreds of pounds (car only cost £500) and even second hand from scrap merchants is around £100-150, if I was absolutely sure of TCU might go for it as apart from this autobox problem car is immaculate with loads of life left, hmmmm what to do

Attached Thumbnails auto problem 96 2.2 aerodeck-hondacodes.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 05:45 AM

Only suggestion is to examine the TCU circuit board carefully for possible damage that could be repaired.

Can you import a TCU by mail? They are cheap in USA. Check car-part.com for sources and prices.

good luck

Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

You might want to do some homework to check if Honda did anything funny between USA & UK. For example a different TCU or different programming since it IS a different car.
I don't know how Honda handles this, but there's some years of Saabs that use Bosch FI system in USA while they use Lucas for the UK cars.

Quick Reply: auto problem 96 2.2 aerodeck