General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Auto Transmission question, again.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:53 AM
vernmont
Unregistered
Default Auto Transmission question, again.

Hi,
I posted this last week, but only go one response, the response simply said get a new car. However, If I had done that when the problem started a few years ago, I would have missed out on the last couple of trouble free years and the freedom of no car payments. This is more of a quirk, than a problem as it is just a momentary thing that only happens when the car is cold and for the first two or three times through the gears. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced it. As soon as the car is warm, it acts like it is new. Here is the post...

I have a 98 Accord EX 4 cylinder with 190,000 miles. I have had this beauty since new. The past few years I have noticed some minor Automatic Transmission slipping - only when cold and only between 1st and 2nd. After the engine warms up all is well in the tranny. This winter it seemed a bit more pronounced, but as I am from the "If it ain't broke.. " school of fix-up I have deemed it perhaps just a "senior moment" for a car that has served me very well for nearly 200K miles. Last year I changed the trans. fluid and filter as a bit of routine maintenance but that had no effect on the slippage. I was wondering if this is common, and I am also wondering if it can be fixed and if it is a sign of more problems to come. Thanks for any input.
Ken Irwin
98 Honda Accord EX
96 Honda Shadow 1100
06 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor

Old 04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Default RE: Auto Transmission question, again.

The reason you got that answer is the 98-02 model automatic transmissions in Accords were basically garbage. You cannot repair them that I know of. You will have to either live with the problem, rebuild the trans, or replace the trans with a new one (with about a 50% chance the new one will go bad soon anyway).