General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic transmission issue 1994 Accord ex

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Default Automatic transmission issue 1994 Accord ex.

Hey all. I am here in hopes of finding someone who can shed some light on my current situation. I recently purchased a 1994 Honda Accord ex with 74,000 miles that is having an intermittent transmission issue. In the beginning I could drive the car letting it shift automatically, but it would shift poorly and slip into false neutral between each shift. I started manually shifting the car, and as long as I let the car reach 4k rpm before shifting it would shift through each gear without much issue. I recently made a 5 hour trip from Mt Olive Alabama to Panama City Beach Florida which is where I am now. For the first half of the trip I was able to manually shift with no issues, but halfway I was met with quite a few back to back stops. For the other half of the trip I could not get the car into 3rd or 4th gear, but was able to get it to stay in 2nd gear. I drove the remainder at 40 mph/3k rpm in second gear. I parked the car and called it a night. When I woke up the next morning I drove the car to grab some lunch, and somehow 3rd and 4th again worked. Now I can only drive the car 30-40 minutes manually shifting before the car is stuck in 2nd gear. If I let the car sit for any amount of time the gears are restored. I have checked the transmission fluid which is topped up/doesn't seem burnt, I have checked the cable coming from the throttle body to the transmission which seems to be adjusted correctly, and have pulled the solenoids reachable from the outside of the transmission which seem to be ok that need further investigation. Any help is appreciated. Any further information I can provide let me know. Thanks.

Update: I have removed the ECU and the TCM from the passenger floor area. The TCM doesn't show any visable signs of a problem. However the ECU has 2 leaking capacitors. I can post pictures if necessary.

Last edited by BrokeAccord; 12-09-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

The D4 light and/or the check engine light should be flashing, since you are having shifting issues. Check for codes. There is a link in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. The CEL blinks are engine codes, and the D4 blinks are transmission codes. Let us know what codes come from the CEL and also the codes from the D4 light.

Since you see issues on the ECU, you will likely need to replace or repair. The TCU could still be faulty without visible issues. You will need an ECU and/or a TCU from a 94/95 Accord 4-cylinder EX with an automatic transmission. You can usually find them a u-pull-it yards for pretty cheap. car-part.com can search junkyards that register to that site and sort by price or distance to see what is available locally.

Post the codes first, before jumping to replacing the ECU/TCU.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:35 PM

I will get everything buttoned back up tonight and try to pull the codes again. The only code I got was an ABS code which was abs pump motor overrun. I'll keep you posted and thanks.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the "screen" in the trans is getting clogged up - the bad thing is that the filter/screen can't be removed to be cleaned without tearing into the trans. You could try a few drain and fills of the trans to see if that might help.

I've read where some have drilled a hole in the case (have to get the measurements correct) and then using brake cleaner and the little straw that comes with the cans to "wash" the screen as mush as possible. Then you have to tap and plug the hole you made. Again I have zero personal experience with this, only read a few threads about people doing it.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:45 PM

Ok sorry for the long wait. I am in Florida doing hurricane relief work and just now had time to button everything up. Upon trying to pull the codes via the jumper this time I was met with only the oil light flashing. No other lights would flash. I waited for about 15 minutes watching the oil light blink, and there did not seem to be any method to it's madness. Is this a problem anyone has seen when trying to jump codes? I heard from someone in another thread that it sounds like the built in screen is getting clogged in my transmission, and that could maybe be my entire issue. Appreciate the help.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:49 PM

I will try the drain and fills asap. I have cleaned both solenoids reachable on the outside of the transmission. I try to pull for any codes, but I am met with only the oil light blinking. This is a real head scratcher! I've seen where others with my issue have tried out several transmissions only to yield the same results so I would love to get to the bottom of this! Thanks for your time.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by BrokeAccord
I will try the drain and fills asap. I have cleaned both solenoids reachable on the outside of the transmission. I try to pull for any codes, but I am met with only the oil light blinking. This is a real head scratcher! I've seen where others with my issue have tried out several transmissions only to yield the same results so I would love to get to the bottom of this! Thanks for your time.
You might want to check the oil level then.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Without the jumper, turn the key to the II position, but don't try to start the car. Does the check engine light turn on for about 2 seconds? This is for a bulb check.

When you jumped that connector did the check engine light stay turned on?

Old 12-16-2018, 07:15 PM

The oil level is fine. Oil light only flashes when I jump the 2 prong connector and turn key on to pull codes. Light does not come on during normal operation.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:18 PM

Yes cel works. Also cel remained solid while trying to pull codes.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission issue 1994 Accord ex