General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Automatic transmission issue 1994 Accord ex

Old 12-29-2018, 08:32 AM

Cleaning the internal screen is what's called the "Tyler method" on Honda tech if you want to search for it or continue to have issues.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:25 AM

I flushed the transmission a few times now which has seemed to help a little, but could even be a placebo in my mind because I didn't drive it for awhile. I guess I'm going to attempt to clean the screen via the Tyler method! I'll let you guys know how it goes! Thanks

Old 01-05-2019, 04:52 PM

What I would do I would disconnect the shift solenoid preferably I think the ones on the top or maybe on the bottom what I would do is run two wires from the battery to work the shift solenoids if you hear a clicking noise when you hit the wire on The shift solenoid they should make a distinct click if the click is loud click they are good if they don’t click the solenoid are bad and make sure you get the right ones so if you get the wrong solenoid the transmission isn’t going to not shift properly and you going to blow the transmission I have A 92 accord with the 2.2 L engine and I did the same thing I put the wrong solenoids in and I blew one of my transmissions and then I had a junkyard transmission put in mine I had to get the right shift solenoid if you take the shift solenoid off and look underneath it it should have D shape on it if has a oval shape on it its not the the right one .

Last edited by Vinrico69; 01-05-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:19 PM

As an update I have now flushed the transmission as much as I can. Fluid is beautiful and red now! But I'm still slipping. I'm trying to cross every t and dot every i before I drill that hole. Headed home now from work and will jump test the solenoids I guess. I'll keep you guys updated and thanks.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 PM

Ok guys bad news. Tested solenoids and they all click at 12v. So I did it. I drilled that d***ed hole! Tapped the hole, Sprayed screen with brakleen, and flushed fluid through to get debris out. After spraying the screen a good amount of fluid that I guess was suspended above it did come out. So I thought I was in clear. I rtvd a washer and the threads of the bolt I used. Happy to say no leak. Put some good but old fluid in a drove it and I still had slipping. So I turned around after about 10mins and did one more 3 quart drain and fill with brand new fluid. To no avail... I still have slippage although it is no where near as bad as before! If I let off the gas it seems to make it into the desired gear ( most of the time). So I think it is fair to say at this point the clutches must be worn. Thanks for everything, and if anyone has any other ideas before I go ***** nilly and rebuild it please let me know.