General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Automatic Transmissions

2009 V6 Auto - I was surprised to read in my manual (online version) that the auto transmission in my accord can sort of be used like a standard. Like when your approaching a red light or stop sign "down shifting" from overdrive to D3 to even low to get the car to slow down. I've never done this since owning it new but I've started to just a bit. Anyone else do this with their autos on a regular basis? Just got me to wondering if it's harder or more work on the transmission in any way. I suppose in the long run it (MAY??) save some brake wear but if it's at the cost of transmission issues down the road that doesn't sound like a very fair trade off. Opinions????

Last edited by dgp1961; 09-01-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:44 PM

Unless your transmission downshifts automatically, then it's definitely more wear and tear. I'd rather replace pads and rotors earlier than a transmission. Typical decent rebuilds seem to run around $3500 where I live. That buys a lot of pads and rotors, but I do the work myself so labor is "free" on brake jobs. The worst of my vehicles is my Toyota, which goes through OEM pads at about 45k miles (rotors are still good after about 130k and haven't even been turned). My others go about 70k before needing pads. My Toyota downshifts on hills automatically (I hate that feature) but my others don't. Save the tranny, use the brakes.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:34 PM

Ive never understood the whole engine brake concept manual or automatic except on long steep grade hills in the mountains. You have brakes they are easily replaceable use them. I changed a transmission in our 2007 accord I would estimate it was 30-40 hours of work on your back. I get annoyed when my wife parks on the slightest incline and doesn't put the e-brake on now.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:59 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks so I get it guess I'll start braking more and leaving the thing in "D" all the time...

Old 09-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

The 16 Pilot has "paddle shift" That I use when my "mood" suits.....other than that, drive with the car in D/ Coasting/engine breaking in an auto is fine....there is a red light ~150 yeards away and I'm doing ~50 MPH...let off the gas and let it slow down on it's own until the brakes are needed.

I'm an old angry guy....so I only use the paddle shift in the Pilot when I'm being tailgated...I can and will slow down with no tail lights ... or when that "a hole" pulls up beside me at a light thinking he is going to out run me in that turn lane or that lane that ends/merges down in 1/4 mile....I make them work for it, I will run to my ~5 over the posted and then let them go if they want to go faster. Again my mood is the decision maker, most of the time I let them go....but in that off chance....the old guy might make you work for it

Old 09-09-2016, 03:07 PM

My 2-cents...

Had 2000 Accord Coupe with 4-speed auto. I manually shifted into 3rd all the time when coming to a light or just slowing down in traffic. (A leftover habit from a previous Accord Coupe with 5-speed manual.)

The '00 had 170K miles and was still running fine when I sold it in Apr'16. Never had a single problem with the transmission and all I ever did was change the ATF at the recommended intervals.

That model had a known auto transmission issue, but rather than do a massive recall, Honda extended the transmission warranty to 7 years or 100K miles. And even so, I didn't have any problems, but it was nice to have the extended warranty, just in case.

And I'm using the paddle shifters on my '16 Accord Coupe with CVT.

Your experience may differ...

Old 09-12-2016, 06:04 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I still "down shift" now and then when the feeling comes over me just not all the time. I've always kept the trans fluid changed way before recommended.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:31 PM

Brakes are for slowing down and transmissions and engines are not for slowing down or stopping.