General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average rotor life

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 05:05 PM

As I said before, it doesn't matter how many times you have the rotors turned until you find and replace the suspecting hub that's bent the rotors are going to keep warping as soon as you torque the wheels down and start driving the car.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

A bent hub or a hub that is not perpendicular to the bearing can cause vibration when braking. It is not the only explanation for vibration when braking.

I also purchased the dial indicator from harbor freight that you clamp to something stationary to measure rotor and hub run-out. This is not a bad practice to ensure your hubs are not the root cause.

Brake parts like the caliper, pads, or slider pins that are stuck can also cause the rotor to warp. Repairing/replacing these items is much simpler and a lot less expensive. I would recommend checking these items first before assuming your hub is the issue.

A thorough inspection of your brakes is in order.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A bent hub or a hub that is not perpendicular to the bearing can cause vibration when braking. It is not the only explanation for vibration when braking.

Exactly.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-19-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 PM

Following up here....had the car looked at by 3 different sources and the consensus was bad from rotors. Had them change (Wagners) and all seems ok now. Thanks for all the input.

Different question....the Accord has D, D3, 2 & 1 for gears in it's automatic transmission. Am I right in thinking I can down shift the car going down fairly steep inclines to save wear & tear on the brakes & rotors? We have a couple of streets near home that are quite steep and I have been slowing down at the top, shifting into low gear (1) and letting the car move down the hill with little to no acceleration on the gas pedal.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Shifting all the way down to 1 seems extreme to me, but I don't know how steep it is. But brakes are still cheaper than transmissions.

If you're talking about a block or 2, I'd just use the brakes. Maybe occasionally downshift for fun or just familiarity with how it works. Actual need for downshifting on a steep hill is when the downhill is a couple miles or more in length.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crazydiamond23
Following up here....had the car looked at by 3 different sources and the consensus was bad from rotors. Had them change (Wagners) and all seems ok now. Thanks for all the input.

Different question....the Accord has D, D3, 2 & 1 for gears in it's automatic transmission. Am I right in thinking I can down shift the car going down fairly steep inclines to save wear & tear on the brakes & rotors? We have a couple of streets near home that are quite steep and I have been slowing down at the top, shifting into low gear (1) and letting the car move down the hill with little to no acceleration on the gas pedal.
The transmission in your car is not considered one of the more robust transmissions on the road; said another way, treat it gently or it will cost you several grand to replace. Brakes are easier and far cheaper.