General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average Life Span of a Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Default Average Life Span of a Wheel Bearing

Good afternoon all. Have a question.

15 months ago, I had the front left wheel bearing of my 2007 Honda Accord EX Nav replaced following an accident where a teenager hit me in that wheel doing 40 in a 15. Of course other stuff was fixed too, but the wheel bearing is at issue.

15 months later, the same wheel bearing went out. Only 25K more miles on the car.

Never had a problem with any other bearings etc.

My question: Any thoughts on the average life span of a wheel bearing on the Honda 2007? The insurance company had the repairer use an aftermarket piece. If it was installed incorrectly to begin with, then I probably would have noticed in at least a few months.

But I can't for the life of me believe that in 15 months and 25K miles that wheel bearing is out again. Bigger problem. The new shop I took it to tried to press out the wheel bearing and broke the front left knuckle.

So.... any thoughts from you Honda Gurus? Please help. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

I'm guessing the bearing was damaged while pressing it in, which might even have weakened the knuckle.

I had a bearings pressed in (non-Honda) and when they handed me the knuckle I saw part of the bearing outer race had a crack but not all the way through. Glad I looked because I handed it back & he had to give me another bearing installed. Not sure how you would have been able to check it at the time, but I just wanted to say stuff like that happens.

Was there some kind of warranty offered on the work? Insurance companies frequently do that.