General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine and body customizing

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question engine and body customizing

ok here we go first i wanna know about the engine. i have a 96 accord wagon and i wanna do something "fun" with it i was thinking about dropping a v6 in it but i dont wanna fabricate the mounts so my first question would be can i drop in a v6 without fabricating or customizing the mounts next question would be will a h23 be a better option for me i dont want an h22 vtech gives to many probs and i really dont want to do what everyone else has already done hense the reason i chose the h23 or the v6.

my next question is about the body i want a nice simple bodykit OR do a japanese front end conversion i dont know if i can afford a japanese conversion because i dont know what i would have to do to make this happen aside from getting the parts from japan. will i have to change out the clips to the headlights so on and so forth.

last but not least i want to do a five lug conversion. how and what do i need to accomplish this.

alot of the work will be done either by myself or by me and friends i am not taking the car to a shop. the bodykit, the headlights, and the taillights are the only thing being done by a proffesional body shop plus the painting. advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you

Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have all the answers but here goes...

The 95-97 V-6 Accords had an extended engine compartment. Their nose was actually longer. So even a 95 4-door won't easily take a V-6. But anything can be done with enough money.

Not sure why H22 gives more problems...? But I DO understand it's nice to do something unique.

I think the wagon brakes were bigger. If so, the normal trick of getting hubs & rotors from a V-6 car would be more difficult than it would have been if it was a 98 4-cyl.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

jimblake thanks for the info i decided to keep the 4 lug i saw some amazing rims for 500 on ebay also from what i gathered on my research the v6 is only like 20 horses less than the siR which is the japanese engine now im not sure if thats the h23 motor or not but its made only in japan us never got it if im going to spend money on making a v6 fit i might as well get the siR from japan and putting it in the engine i deff appreciate your input and advice thanks alot as far as the h22 well i live in the state of ny and for some reason up here these cars are wanted more than i would have imagined and two of friends have the same year accord 4 doors but one has the h22 the other has the f22 and the f22 is yanking harder than the h22 the h22 the guy tells me that when the vtech starts to "f" up it gives headaches plus im just looking for something simple nothing too crazy. not trying to race it just want to make it unique and sexy lol well again thanks for the info

Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

There's a couple people on here (not me) who have swapped in an H-series engine (H22 or H23). That seems like a better plan; besides the V-6 only ever came with automatic trans which is no fun.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

A H23 will drop right in, even hook up to your stock transmission.

As Jim said a V6 isnt too practical.

H22s are about the same electronically, its just they tend to burn oil, as does almost any DOHC VTEC engine.

As for the SiR I'm not sure what engine your talking about, probably either the H22A or F20B.

And the JDM Accords werent really any different than the ones here, they just had the black housing headlights if thats what you mean by front end conversion. They bolt up the same as the stock ones they are just black.

As for swapping to 5 lug you would mostly need the parts from a 5 lug prelude.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks guys i made up my mind im going with the h23 from japan 300 bucks engine only i think thats a good deal and as for the black housing yea thats what i wanted will it bolt straight on also im keeping it auto better than stick for me because it will keep me from trying to race everything lol so thanks for the info now as far as the 5 lug conversion what exactly will i need to get aside from the rotor brake system and the hub setup will i need to change anything else also will i need the whole back axle or just part of it and which parts if so what is the f20b what cars carried that engine and will it bolt on to my f22 tranny? will it be a better engine for me? thanks guys