General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AXLE concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Default AXLE concerns

Hey y'all I drive a 95 honda accord hatch back. Yesterday I had the front right CV joint replaced, as my idiot driving on gravel roads had literally torn it. I get it out of the shop and head over the mountains. Three hours after it is out of the shop the left front wheel falls off. The lug nuts sheared off. The rotor caught on the rim, and I was able to get it stopped without wrecking myself or my car. But now I'm wondering. The shop yesterday put in a new axle (I know the car has only a "half-axle" system) and less than 3 hours later this happens, is it their fault? They fully maintain it isn't, but of course they don't want to touch my car after that happened. Do you think I can build a good enough case that they could have/ did take that wheel off for some reason to convince them to pay for my repairs?

Thanks!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

They had to remove the wheel to replace the CV joint.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 PM

They said since it was on the other side of the axle they didn't. Are they lying to me?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Were axles on both the driver and passenger side replaced? If so, they would have to remove the wheels.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Supper Moderator

who knows they could have removed that rim thinking that was the side they needed to do the repair on...I would assume they are liable for this issue. If they give you crap just tell them "thank you and have a nice day...you will hear from my attorney soon" their butts will pucker and either give you a killer deal on the repairs if not take care of it for free. If not then contact a attorney and state your case. I would press the issue they COULD have removed your driver side wheel to inspect the driver side axle and possibly didn’t tighten your lug nuts to spec. Most shops do when they try to get more money out of you for other repairs. It sounds like to me they did something at the shop and either didn't tell you they inspected other stuff or they simply screwed up and won't admit it. There are a lot of shady things that happen at shops so I would not put it past them for f-in your wagon up.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks! they didn't replace that axle, but I honestly can not think that it was dumb luck that I get my car out of the shop and 3 hours later the lug nuts break in half. I am going to get them accept liability hopefully. The repairs, with the tow bill and my accomodations for being stuck were around 500 dollars. I know some good lawyers, so I think once they heard the word attorney they'll pay up. rather take the hit then have the case go to the court systems you'd think.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I didn't realize that the other wheel was the one that fell off.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:03 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, you must feel terrible. You could try a small claim court but the thing is the wheel that felt off the car wasn't on the side that they were working on, do you have any hard evidence that they pulled the wrong wheel off to do the axle ? If it was on the same side that the wheel felt off and they were working on that same side then everything is easy, you would win the case right there. Best of luck to you.