General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default bad gas milage

The best MPG I can get is 18.75mpg

What should I be looking for?

1992 accord ex.

It starts and runs fine and doesnt make any weird noises, replaced fuel filter. Where else should I look?

Old 03-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't know when the last time the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor were replaced I would start there. They can be replaced for fairly cheap so it is always a good starting point.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I've done a new cold air, plugs...If Im not mistaken there may have been oil sitting with a plug or two. I'm not very good with cars but my mechanic books have helped me a lot. Possibly a new head gasket? Would there maybe be a code the computer would put out?

Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Is there any specific brand and model I should look into for these parts? If so please state and where to buy them. I have an advance auto in town although I hate buying from them.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Was the oil on the top of the plugs where the boot connects, or on the bottom of the plugs where they go into the engine. I'm guessing you meant the top part. Which would mean you need a new valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals(normally comes as a set). A cheap, easy, $15 or $20 fix. I would just stay away from the fel-pro valve cover gasket because they got the specs wrong and made it too big and never fixed it. You can make it work but its a royal pain.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

not sure if it was on top or underneath, I guess I can take a look at that fairly easy lol. Lets say its on top and thats whats need would that cause the bad mpg?

Old 03-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Only use the NGK plugs that are recommended for your car. They are the NGK copper V-power plugs, ZFR5F-11.

I suggest Honda parts for the distributor cap and rotor.

The spark plug wires seem to last forever on these cars. If the insulation is damaged, then go with Honda, Denso, or NGK spark plug wires.

As live2rice just mentioned, get the valve cover gasket set for the oil in the spark plug leak. Fel-Pro makes good gaskets.

In the DIY section, there is a thread on oil in the spark plug tubes. Google ericthecarguy oil spark plug for a good youtube video on how to replace.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

oil is on top of 2 of the plugs.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Fel-Pro makes good gaskets.
I have used felpro for many things but their valve cover gasket for the 94-97 Accords I personally think it terrible. I used it twice and both times it seemed like it was just a few millimeters too big and trying to get it to stay in place took many tries and a lot of frustration.

But I found the OE Honda one fit perfect and was an ease to install.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mosier.36
oil is on top of 2 of the plugs.
Then the valve cover gasket set is what you need.

Quick Reply: bad gas milage