General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bad gasket?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Default bad gasket?

I started smelling burning oil a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be getting noticably worse but it's bad enough that I can't let it go.

I started googling around online and I'm assuming that it's a gasket based on what I found online.

So, I popped the hood today(not a car guy) to see what's going on. I've attached some pictures.

Does it look like that culprit that I can see in the photos? If that's the case, does anyone know how difficult($$$) of a job this is?

http://img35.imageshack.us/i/feb262010015.jpg/
http://img94.imageshack.us/i/feb262010014.jpg/
http://img294.imageshack.us/i/feb262010013.jpg/

Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well from just these pics it seems to be more so the valve cover gasket(which is what you focused all the pics on.) which is a hell of a cheaper and easier fix that a head gasket(which is what i as well as most that will come here expecting)

Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

IF I knew what year, I could post a parts picture.

Well, they're nearly alike, so look on the left side for your non-VTEC engine...

New gasket set (#1) comes with 4 round seals (#7) for the sparkplug tubes, & grommets (#15) for the washers.

Don't over-tighten the hold-down nuts (#14) cause the studs will break.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

You may also want to replace the o-ring that seals the distributor shaft while you are replacing the valve cover gasket.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 AM

It's a '97 with 130k on it. I was focusing on that specific area with the photos because it's the only area that oil was visible.

Nothing is dripping and the oil level is fine. The car runs perfectly other than the smell. I have not taken the car on a substantial trip recently though.

If it is the valve cover gasket, can someone tell me how many hours the job to replace that should be? Thanks.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

It's pretty easy, but we don't know your speed

Probably less than an hour, unless you break one of the hold-down studs. The gasket is rubbery & fits into a big slot in the valvecover, so it's not like you have to scrape a cardboard gasket that's been baked on & shreds apart when you remove the VC.

Pay attention to the position of the sparkplug tube seals. There's a right-side-up or upside-down when you're installing them. You don't want your sparkplug tubes to fill up with oil.

Get some Permatex Ultra-Grey (or Honda-Bond from the dealer) & put just a tiny bit on the 4 sharp corners where the gasket goes up over the camshaft.

FelPro is a popular brand at places like AutoZone. I got one & it was just a bit long. I had to wrestle a bit, but here's the trick. Position it so the excess slack is looped in front where you can see it easily. Place the rear of the VC down first, then push the gasket into place as you lower the front. A plastic puttyknife works OK for that, especially if it's dull with rounded corners.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You may also want to replace the o-ring that seals the distributor shaft while you are replacing the valve cover gasket.
DITTO

Originally Posted by nick987nick123
If it is the valve cover gasket, can someone tell me how many hours the job to replace that should be? Thanks.
30mins

Old 03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Good post guys, good pictures and good answers..That's what it's all about in this forum..

Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Good post guys, good pictures and good answers..That's what it's all about in this forum..
surprise my answer didnt get moved

what i would suggest doing, although i'm not sure if the 4cyl have them but i bought a whole gasket set for my c27:

its a lot cheaper than buying gasket by gasket. and you'll get both the valve gasket and the distribitor o-ring plus any other you may need/want

Last edited by Ronracer; 03-17-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I agree with other members leak looks like valve cover gasket and possibly distr o-ring ..get a valve cover gasket and o-ring from the dealer it only costs about 8-11 dollars for both ,, the upper tube seals are a bit harder to replace on 94-97 than on 90-93 accords......they cost about 2-4 dollars each .......get ultra grey it is a lot cheaper than honda- bond ...
94-97 you have to basically hammer them out with a small hammer and screwdriver , 90-93, you could just pull them off with your hand or at times just fell off..

And like advised ,, be careful when you re-install the valve cover do not over tighten the acorn nuts ..

Ronracer why would you buy the whole top end gasket set??? you might never need to use that ,, could be a waste of money versus saving money ..

Last edited by deserthonda; 03-17-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bad gasket?