Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Bad MPG.... (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/bad-mpg-48204/)

jfidelh 06-19-2012 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by 94ex915 (Post 285709)
Arco?

I'm guessing you don't have that type of gas station over there?:confused:

What I'm trying to ask is if you fuel up with the cheapest gasoline or the decent one that costs 10-15 cents more?

94ex915 06-19-2012 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by jfidelh (Post 285715)
I'm guessing you don't have that type of gas station over there?:confused:

What I'm trying to ask is if you fuel up with the cheapest gasoline or the decent one that costs 10-15 cents more?

Hmmmm dunno if I should just unplug the compressor if I can or what. The a/c is never on. Never mess with any of that.

I guess I use around the average gasoline. Normally just go to the circle k by my house unless the price difference is really drastic then I will head over to walmart and use their gas.

jfidelh 06-19-2012 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by 94ex915 (Post 285716)
Hmmmm dunno if I should just unplug the compressor if I can or what. The a/c is never on. Never mess with any of that.

I guess I use around the average gasoline. Normally just go to the circle k by my house unless the price difference is really drastic then I will head over to walmart and use their gas.

Yeah, you can unplug the wire to the compressor if you want but I do not think it would matter if youre not attempting to turn it on.

Oh okay, What I was getting at was that when I had my 94 Accord, I was a cheapp skatee and I would put the cheapest gas around, it would waste so fast. On a night out I decided to put circle k, decent gas and it lasted way longer. Really cheap gas is watered down. It actually messed up the fuel pump in my dads Chevy HHR and I am going to replace it tomorrow! :P

94ex915 06-19-2012 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by jfidelh (Post 285717)
Yeah, you can unplug the wire to the compressor if you want but I do not think it would matter if youre not attempting to turn it on.

Oh okay, What I was getting at was that when I had my 94 Accord, I was a cheapp skatee and I would put the cheapest gas around, it would waste so fast. On a night out I decided to put circle k, decent gas and it lasted way longer. Really cheap gas is watered down. It actually messed up the fuel pump in my dads Chevy HHR and I am going to replace it tomorrow! :P

Well gas prices have been dropping over here so they are almost all the same price haha. I think walmart is like 10 cents cheaper then circle k but its about 2 miles further.

Been reading and found out it could be a clogged catalytic converter or a bad o2 sensor. Or a few other things. Hopefully codes come up. If not I dont know what else to do lol :confused:

JimBlake 06-19-2012 12:17 PM

If you want, go ahead & unplug the wire from the compressor. Not sure about 1995 but many years will automatically turn on the AC when you select the DEFROST position.

94ex915 06-19-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 285764)
If you want, go ahead & unplug the wire from the compressor. Not sure about 1995 but many years will automatically turn on the AC when you select the DEFROST position.

Just got back from autozone and they cant check to see if any codes are there. Said the car is to old to check it and I would have to take it to a shop. I just got the inspection done on the car and it passed so I dont know why Im getting such bad mpg. I have the emissions report but dont know if that would help to see what could be wrong.

94ex915 06-19-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 285764)

Also did the test with a paper clip or whatever to try and get a code. The CEL just stays on. The light never turns on when I am driving though.

PAhonda 06-19-2012 06:14 PM

I noticed that the fuel gauge dropped quickly from 1/2 to E compared to F to 1/2. That was on my 95 accord.

One thing you want to check is the brakes to see if they are dragging. That can kill gas mileage. Check your tire pressure too.

The proper way to check for gas mileage is to fill up the tank, drive it and record the miles. When you fill up the tank, just take the miles driven divided by gas you added.

EDIT: If you decide to replace the O2 sensor, I have a Denso one that is an exact fit for your car. I sold my accord before I had a chance to install it. Send me a PM if interested.

94ex915 06-19-2012 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 285823)
I noticed that the fuel gauge dropped quickly from 1/2 to E compared to F to 1/2. That was on my 95 accord.

One thing you want to check is the brakes to see if they are dragging. That can kill gas mileage. Check your tire pressure too.

The proper way to check for gas mileage is to fill up the tank, drive it and record the miles. When you fill up the tank, just take the miles driven divided by gas you added.

EDIT: If you decide to replace the O2 sensor, I have a Denso one that is an exact fit for your car. I sold my accord before I had a chance to install it. Send me a PM if interested.

Well the thing is I almost had a full tank on friday. And now its down to 1/4. The gauge on this car seems to sit really low when its low on gas. Past the line. Dont know if that is normal or what. How can I check the if the brakes are dragging? Do you think it could be the o2 sensor. I have no idea if it has been changed.

PAhonda 06-19-2012 07:20 PM

How many miles did you drive since Friday?

You really need to calculate the mpg by dividing the miles driven by the gas used.

Are you doing a lot of city driving with start and stop traffic?