General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer Belt Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Default Balancer Belt Question

The honda factory manual shows a special tool, a pin with a threaded shoulder, that is used to hold one of the balancer shafts in place while replacing the balancer belt. It looks like an access bolt is removed from the back of the motor and this tool is threaded in and it catches a recess on the balancer shaft and holds it in place while replacing the belt. My question is, is this tool absolutely necessary to replace the belt, or is it one of those nice to have but not needed tools?

Old 10-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Balancer Belt Question

the reason to put that tool on the back is to make sure that the rear balancer shaft does not spin and it will be out of alignment, you can use a regular punch...

what i do is to get a magic marker, have engine at top dead # 1 and before i remove any belts i mark everything, so i can reinstall it the same way .. so no need to even remove the rear bolt and install a punch

also, there are markings all over to show where trhe balancer shafts should be properly aligned..also one thing i di,, before i mark the shafts i make sure that they are aligned with the marks properly......especially if t-belt has been done once before,, you can never assume that the tech before you aligned everything properly ..

Old 10-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Balancer Belt Question

Thanks, that is the answer I was looking for. I'm doing a timing belt this weekend and don't wan't any surprises.