General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery, Brake and Door Lights Flash, ELD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Default Battery, Brake and Door Lights Flash, ELD?

Hello,

I recently purchased a nice 2002 Accord with a 3.0 for my daughter and have been fixing things over the past month or so. The car has 180,000 and has been maintained well. Recently the battery, break and door lights have been flashing very fast and the longest they have stayed on was about 5 seconds. After searching for a probable cause, I found that most likely it would be the alternator. That was replaced in December by the previous owner and long story short I was able to get O'Reilly's to warranty it and replaced it but still get the battery, brake and door lights flashing intermittently. I also replaced the ground cable as it was looking a little rough and the ignition switch. In addition I looked at the tensioner and found that to be okay but did change the belt. I also had the battery tested and even though it tested good it showed "near end of life" Could a battery cause this? I know I will need to but I've already thrown money at this and was hoping to wait on the battery. I also disconnected the negative cable from the battery with he car running and the dash lights didn't come on making me think it wouldn't be the battery at the moment and more towards the ELD.

Yesterday, I spent a good amount of time researching the ELD. The car isn't throwing a code but looking at the schematic, there doesn't seem to be much to the charging/battery circuit. Which led me to this as a possibility. Everything I've read says the 2002 3.0 ELD is not replaceable and that I need the complete underhood fuse box. I pulled out the ELD tonight to see if the Honda part I can buy can be retro fitted into the fuse box and it isn't the same design as mine has the connector on top and the bus bar through the bottom part.

Does anyone know if I can get the original anyplace?
Can one of the newer ELD units be installed into my car?
Or does anyone have an idea on what could be causing the lights to flash other than a defective ELD and what I have tried already?

My 16 year old daughter drives this car and I want it safe for her and not shut off in traffic.

Thank you in advance!

Old 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Are the flashing lights on the cluster the only electrical issue you are observing?

Old 05-02-2019, 06:31 PM

Yes, that is all.