General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Default battery corrosion

I'm having a problem with corrosion on my battery, and was wondering if anyone knows why it would be such an issue. I bought my car on December 22nd, and the positive battery terminal at the time was heavily corroded. On or about Jan 15th, I had an oil change done and asked the garage to clean the terminals, which they did and they also applied a corrosion inhibitor. Well, just a few weeks later and the terminal is corroded again. The only thing that I can think of is because I have 2 wires connected to the terminal that power my high intensity headlights. In fact, the corrosion was so bad a few weeks ago that one of those wired corroded right off.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Default RE: battery corrosion

Hmmm....probably just an old battery. Over time, they tend to corrode like that. Just my $0.02.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Often what happens is the plastic case of the battery develops hairline cracks around the posts. That allows corrosive gas (& maybe sulfuric acid)to come out directly onto the terminals.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

That battery wouldn't happen to be original, is it? Even if you got a new one at the 5 year mark, you are at the 10 yr mark now ..... might just be time for a 3rd 5 year battery.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: JimBlake
Often what happens is the plastic case of the battery develops hairline cracks around the posts. That allows corrosive gas (& maybe sulfuric acid)to come out directly onto the terminals.
We have a WINNER [sm=bounceybounce.gif] ......Give that man a cigar.
Poor seals around the terminal post is the leading cause of green fuzz growth.

The only thing I'd try is layng a thick coat of heavy grease around the post seam; but not on the post. Grease does not conduct electricity.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:10 PM

Here is what I do, everytime I check my oil I let a drop or two fall off the dipstick onto the terminal. DONT let the dipstick touch the terminal though.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hondadude
We have a WINNER [sm=bounceybounce.gif] ......Give that man a cigar.
Cough COUGH... HACK Ugghhh....

better make that a chocolate cigar.
[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 AM

Thanks guys! I'll take a closer look at the terminal today and also see if I can figure out when this puppy was put in. Since I just bought the car in December, I have no idea how old it is.

Can anyone recommend a good battery...a tow truck driver recently voiced his (negative) opinions about Sears, which is usually what I'd get.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Many will flame me for this, but I have always liked Duralast from AutoZone. They have a lifetime warranty. If they EVER fail, AutoZone will replace for free.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I've had nothing but good results from Sears, but have heard the horror stories as well ..... I think a friend got one that was DOA, but it was replaced the next day. I like Sears' computer system. If you go down the list of what fits your car, there are alternates toward the bottom. My accord had a truck, SUV and Van battery that was the same size with a lot more CCA's for an extra 10 bucks.

Quick Reply: battery corrosion