General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Default Battery dead

Hello,
there are some loose connections in my car as every time I turn or car goes over bumps, the dome light and the door lights come on. It is annoying the way they keep flickering. Today, the car won't turn on and no functions work. Looks like the battery is dead. Is it possible that it was drained because of such loose connections ? I will jump start the car today, but how do I locate and fix the loose connections? Also what is the test to verify that battery was just drained and not about to die?

thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Battery dead

To see whether its on its last legs, test the battery under load. I could write some instructions, but places like AutoZone usually will test it for free.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Battery dead

As far as the dome light and door lights flicker; you may need to adjust the door striker [hook on the door post]inwards about 1/4'.

It might be that the door not latching tight enough let the dome light turn on after you walked away from the car, hence the dead battery.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM

Thank you all for the replies. Last week, I jumped the car and went to Autozone and had them check the car battery. It appears the battery was in the car since OCT 01. He said I was lucky it lasted this long... well, he changed the battery and the car was working fine. Now, I didnt use the car for past 4 days, but also did not take care of the door light. So when I tried to start the car this morning, the battery was dead again... well, rather too weak to crank the car. I am going to take the door light bulb out but is there any way to detect any other leaks in the car that may be draining the battery.

thanks

Old 02-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

like the DUDE said,, fix the door first,, if problem is still there ,most likely there is an electrical drain in the system,, there is a write up on the DIY section to chk for electrical drains.. also make sure that alternator works properly