General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Motor Oil Brand/Type

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Best Motor Oil Brand/Type

What is the best motor oil brand and type for Honda Accord?

- Valvoline Max Life Synthetic
- Mobil1 Full Synthetic
- Pennzoil Full Syn
- Castrol Edge Full Syn
- Castrol GTX Full Syn
- Carquest or house brand Full Syn
- Quaker State Full Syn
- Shell Rotella Full Syn
- STP full syn

I have a 99 2.3L V4 EX and wanted to know if it really matters or just get what is on sale?

I have heard that high mileage is actually worse than traditional full synthetic too? Thoughts?

Also, I have used Purolator oil filters and they seem pretty good too. Anyone like Fram or others?

Old 05-29-2018, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

This is going to be like asking about politics or religion... And if it gets nasty we'll shut it down.

I've used Castrol GTX (which is not synthetic) in several Hondas around that vintage. Been very happy with it, and when I've had the used oil analyzed it's turned out good.

I've heard that different brands additive packages might not play nice with each other, so don't keep switching at every oil change. I really don't know if that's a big deal or not.

Same story with Purolator Pure-One filters.

Mobil-1 (synthetic) for my Saab (turbos).

One daughter has a 2013 Civic that calls for 0w-20 oil which only seems to exist as synthetic, that gets Mobil-1.

But really, by keeping up with the maintenance intervals, and checking the dipstick regularly for oil LEVEL, you'll be better off than most drivers who might not even know how to open the hood...

In fact, if you go crazy with oil changes but forget that the coolant, brake fluid, & ATF needs changing also, then those things might be the death of your car.

And how about your timing belt?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

As JimBlake said, pinning down which oil is best is just as slippery as pinning down which religion is best. Personally I say high end synthetics are the best and I call B.S. on anybody who says any one is better than another. If you're inclined to use non-synthetic oils, here again, no one is better than another, use whichever brand you worship.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

At that age I'm sure it has not seen full synthetic before so no need changing it now. I have for years only used full synthetic and have put over 200k on my Accord with no issues at all beside normal interval maintenance. Me personally I use Supertech full synthetic (Walmart brand). It is made by Citgo (Warner Distribution) the last I checked. I get my oil analyzed every 50k and it holds up great it's me being able to push it more. My change interval is 7500 - 8000 miles with a Honda filter (01). I had my engine looked at (150k) with the VC off and was told that it is in perfect condition no sludge or anything. Since I have used it over 15 years with countless miles on all my cars it's good enough for me. Everyone has there preference so you will get a lot of recommendations.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I believe the last oil change I did was with Castrol Edge full synthetic. I used to always be semi-synthetic before that. Should I got back to a semi-synthetic or different type then? I only really see full synthetic 5W-30 in the store.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:10 PM

If you've made the change then keep it

Old 05-29-2018, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2hisOwnAccord
I believe the last oil change I did was with Castrol Edge full synthetic. I used to always be semi-synthetic before that. Should I got back to a semi-synthetic or different type then? I only really see full synthetic 5W-30 in the store.
If you're going to practice short oil change intervals, go with conventional oil, if you're going to go with medium to long, go with synthetic.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm leaning toward conventional oil now, there is a sale at Napa auto parts for Valvoline conventional 5 qts for 19.99. That an a napa gold filter or similar would do just fine. I can replace every 5k. Honda manual says 7500 miles for replacement. That would mean more of a synthetic oil I would think.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2hisOwnAccord
I'm leaning toward conventional oil now, there is a sale at Napa auto parts for Valvoline conventional 5 qts for 19.99. That an a napa gold filter or similar would do just fine. I can replace every 5k. Honda manual says 7500 miles for replacement. That would mean more of a synthetic oil I would think.
No, Honda engines are well known for going hundreds of thousands of miles on conventional oil with 7,500 mile oil change intervals.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:07 PM

Use whatever you want, but change it regularly. I've been running Pennzoil conventional in our Accords for the last couple of years (coming up on owning my wife's Accord 5 years now). I change it every 3K miles too. No issues with it (them), and everything still looks nice and clean. I get my oil from Tractor Supply, as they sell it cheaper than the Zone does.

Quick Reply: Best Motor Oil Brand/Type