General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to repaint bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Question best way to repaint bumper?

Had some one hit my car the other day while I was at a bookstore studying. There are not really and scratches or dents in the bumber...just a lot of peeling paint from when the bumper absorbed the impact.

I would prefer to fix it myself instead of having a shop do it. What would be the best way to fix it? Thanks for any help/tips in advance.

P.S. the primer is peeling too, so would i have to re-primer it as well?

Last edited by hondafreak91c; 11-18-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

The best way would be to have it professionally done, but that wouldn't be cheap. You can do it yourself and have it come out decent. I would repaint the whole thing. Scuff it all down, primer, paint, clear. I have seen rattle can jobs come out pretty good, its obviously not as good as professional, but it should suffice.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

My daughters Civics are always getting that stuff (campus parking lots..!)

This time one got a chunk missing about the size of a nickel. Cameron, have you ever found a good bondo-type product for the plastic bumper skins?

Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 PM

hey guys not to sound like im a pro or noting im far from but i happen to be a body tech for cars... for your bumber you need to sand the flaking area back a few inches and it should be smooth to the touch. go to a local auto store and get 400 grit sandpaper for this.
to scuff the rest of the bumber you should get a scuff pad. if you go to a good store they should know what this is... run this over the whole area till its not shiny anymore. you only need to reprimer the area that was in the accadent. it looks to be black paint so ill call it that... cover the primer area with black then gradualy make your paint area bigger for 3 or 5 coats to blend in the balck to the stock color... then run clear over the whole area generasly but be carefull not to run the clear... and for a body filler for wholes in plastic you should be able to find oddly enough named plastic body filler that should work for what you need...

Old 11-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Administrator
Thumbs up Hello Carebear

Originally Posted by Carebear_ehs89
hey guys not to sound like im a pro or noting im far from but i happen to be a body tech for cars... for your bumber you need to sand the flaking area back a few inches and it should be smooth to the touch. go to a local auto store and get 400 grit sandpaper for this.
to scuff the rest of the bumber you should get a scuff pad. if you go to a good store they should know what this is... run this over the whole area till its not shiny anymore. you only need to reprimer the area that was in the accadent. it looks to be black paint so ill call it that... cover the primer area with black then gradualy make your paint area bigger for 3 or 5 coats to blend in the balck to the stock color... then run clear over the whole area generasly but be carefull not to run the clear... and for a body filler for wholes in plastic you should be able to find oddly enough named plastic body filler that should work for what you need...
Thanks for that info and help..that's what this forum is all about, helping other members and getting heelp from others yourself.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Default best way to repaint bumper

2,550 for the mtech front bumper painted and parts? wow ur crazy

Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Default finally!!!

finally i will have enough time to fix my bumber! (yay for spring break!) I will be starting on it next monday!!!

just one question. by looking at the previous pics, would it be better to remove the bumper while doing the work?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by hondafreak91c
finally i will have enough time to fix my bumber! (yay for spring break!) I will be starting on it next monday!!!

just one question. by looking at the previous pics, would it be better to remove the bumper while doing the work?
Hey, do you mind posting some pics of the finished work?

I'm painting a lot of parts on my car, and I'm trying to figure out why everyone says it looks better if it's professionally done. I mean, if you're good at painting, can't it look just as good or better than if a "professional" does it?

Anyways, I'm starting on mine a bit later, and you'll finish before me so post some pics if ya don't mind.