General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bleeding radiator troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Default bleeding radiator troubles...

okay so i drained the cooling system after sealing a leak at the thermostat housing.

i watched EricTheCarGuy's video.

i had actually forgot to run the car after tightening the bleeder screw and just topped off the radiator and overflow.

well i tried to do the running the car until the fans come on deal and every time the coolant just overflows and spills out.

i dont understand how coolant comes out like i put too much in there to begin with.

its irritating.

i did fill the engine until it came out of the bleeder screw, so i did that part right. i cant find that no spill funnel with the radiator attachment Eric uses in his video anywhere.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

You don't necessarily need the funnel; but, I have to admit the Lisle Spill free funnel works great to get more air out faster and easier. I bought mines from Summit Racing a while back.

Refer to this thread on how to purge the air out of the cooling system.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...02/#post222177

This is the link for the Lisle funnel from Summit Racing.
summitracing.com/parts/LIL-24610

Old 06-26-2011, 11:00 PM

well yeah i do that, but coolant just pours out. like its overfilled. this happens as it warms up

Old 06-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Usually, if you rev the car, coolant will come out of the radiator. The instructions with the Lisle spill free funnel actually says not to rev the car as it will cause the coolant to come out. But, I still do it in moderation, as it seems to cause the thermostat to open up faster to get trapped air out. I don't keep revving it while letting the car warm up.

IIRC, in that video, the mechanic recommends to have it around 2,500 rpm until the fans come on. This is actually not necessary. Let it warm up with normal idle speed first (you should not see coolant pouring out at normal idle speed). Then later rev it a little to help it heat up faster and open the thermostat. Then continue the purging process at normal idle speed.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 PM

i have a normal oil funnel and it feels it up at idle. every time

Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

I think that my funnel that I use for my oil fits pretty well to where my radiator cap inserts. I will check tomorrow to be sure.

Google: 10709 funnel

That is what mine looks like and most parts stores carry them.

You can also get funnels for filling the radiator that should seat pretty well in there.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:06 PM

my problem is, what do i do with the coolant that has overflowed into the funnel? why does it not go back into the radiator after its done bubbling. does that mean there is still a air pocket that pushes it out?

i pour more coolant into the overflow to compensate for lost coolant out of the top. is that okay?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Tek-I think, sorry, you are over doing this......if the heater is set to max and you have followed the steps....what is left in the funnel is "extra".....remove the funnel, yes it will spill, water it down so the "dumb" animals won't drink it, trust me the "bittering" agent in modern antifreze is bitter.

Me, not per the manual or the video (never watched so not sure). After getting into the cooling system......seal it up (hose, t-stat, wp-whatever). set the heat to max. Fill the rad-slowly- until the coolant comes out the bleeder, close off bleeder, start car, let it run for about 5 min, replace cap (top off if needed, and no, never left a funnel in the rad filler), another 5 min and "crack" the bleeder until coolant is coming out at a steady stream-CAUTION-HOT, almost like brakes....shut down, cool off, top rad and res.....call it a day....personally, never done me wrong....works with my 3rd and 5th gen's everytime.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:20 PM

it just worries me because there is so much engine heat.

it shouldnt be that hot under there. only time i ever felt heat like that under a hood of a car, is when im racing them at the local drag strip.

thats a whole other story :-p

Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, been there and done that.......I'm old and simple, do you think the Chevelle is stock (trust me, I do have the orig eng and trans-numbers match).......but I like to have fun 1/4 mile at a time

Quick Reply: bleeding radiator troubles...