General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown H23A Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Default Blown H23A Engine

Hey guys. I wanna take a moment to introduce myself as this is my first time visiting and posting on this forum. So... *waves*.

Anyways... I do have a question that, after hours of surfing the forums, I was unable to find an answer to. Forgive me if I overlooked anything... I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

My wife recently blew the H23A motor in her '99 Honda Accord. I'm currently looking at an F20B or an H22 as they're fairly easy to come by. My question is; I have been unable to find any information regarding whether or not the transmission from the H23A will mount up to the F20B or the H22 (it's a 5speed manual transmission). I'd love to snag another H23A but I can't justify shelling out $2000+ for an engine if I don't have to.

Any information on transmission compatibility from the H23A engine and possibly any other reasonable suggestions for engine swaps that would be relatively hassle-free? I'm not looking for a lot of power or boost as this is just a daily driver (I've got a boosted 7th Gen Celica GT-S so I'm good... )

Thank you very much in advance!

::EDIT::
Also... any other issues involved with a H23A to F20B swap? Are the mounts all that different? Thanks again.

Last edited by Nemwad; 03-24-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Transmission clutch and flywheel will all work fine. On the exterior the H23, F20B, and H22A/A1/A4(minus SH) are basically the same. Its the bore stroke, and some head work that make them different.

That being said I used to have an H22a4, and now have an F20B. The F20B is probably the biggest pain of the 3. It is one of the harder ones to come by, and the hardest to get parts for. For example if the headgasket blows you either have to have one custom made or order from japan, there is no US market compatible one. It also has more B series parts on it than H series parts, so it cant use all H22 parts like the H23 can.

Also some don't know but the F20B came in two versions, the automatic and manual version. Almost no distirbutors note the difference, but there is a 15hp difference between the two, the manual having 200 and the automatic having 185hp. As I said most places don't know the difference so its really a crap shoot on which one you will get. Looking at the blocks there is almost no way to tell the difference.

So my suggestion would be just go with a H22, its tried and true, the cheapest options, and most parts available for it.