General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Default Body Repair Questions

Hi,
I need to get my 2008 Honda Accord LX (Automatic trns) to an auto body repair shop but I keep getting very varied estimates ($500 -$1000). Just wondering if someone could point out the right forum to post the question and get it answered.

thanks,
thecoolking

Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well, this section is for questions on how the website works. I'll move this over to General Tech.

I realize different shops can have different prices, but that's a huge difference.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Pics....pics. But I have to say even with those it might be hard to say. Sometimes you never know what else you find when you take the bumper cover off...for example.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Default Diagnosis and Pictures

Hi,
Apologize for the delay in posting the pictures. So I showed it to a couple of body shops and they almost all said similar things -
1. New Bumper Cover
2. New Fender Liner
3. Replacement of the wiper fluid reservoir/lining/tubes
4. Missing bolts/nuts that may have come off
5. Any other damage that may show up after they open the hood.

Depending on how big the shop was, they all gave me estimates between $700-$1200 and a work estimate of 1-5 days.

Just wanted to get opinions from this forum before I decide. My insurance deductible is $1000 (both for collision/comprehensive). Additional pics are here-
https://picasaweb.google.com/rajaddepalli/HondaAccordBumper?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails Body Repair Questions-hondaaccordbumper-006.jpg   Body Repair Questions-hondaaccordbumper-005.jpg   Body Repair Questions-hondaaccordbumper-007.jpg   Body Repair Questions-hondaaccordbumper-004.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

When they say "new" are they actually talking factory new pieces, or are they talking generically and referring to used parts from a salvage yard? That could be some of the difference in price.

Personally, if it were me, I'd take it to the cheapest shop and not worry about filing a claim. Help keep your insurance rates from going up.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Some of the bigger body shops insisted on getting the honda original manufacturer's parts but the others probably would go for used parts.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM

I had a low speed front end collision about 4 years ago, bumper grill was busted and the hood was buckled. It did move my front crossmember (the one that is in front of the radiator) back maybe an inch.

I opted to just get a new bumper cover, and bent the hood back myself. Since it was my fault I went the cheapest way possible, 2 years later i had someone back into my car at about 5mph, so I got a new hood bumper and headlights not to mention certain brackets.

what I am saying is that it all comes back to what you want out of it.

To add to this:

Honda or shops that are quoting high are quoting you what it will take to get your car back to 100% original condition.

lower bids typically involve reuse of parts that aren't "unusable" but are not in 100% condition. These bids will make your car look fresh and new but might not take care of underlying issues. In this situation I don't see why you would need some of the parts that have been quoted, your washer bottle, motor and line are fine (lines?!?! really?? i am pretty sure that rubber hose survives impacts pretty well)

Personally I chose to get my car looking fine and chose not to replace not critical items however if there is a structural inefficiency that can compromise my car in a future collision then yea, I'd take care of it.

just my 2 cents

Last edited by Silver6gen; 12-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM

Thanks everyone,
I chose to go to the lowest quoting body shop just because some (not all) of the other estimates seemed to high. For example, one body shop quoted me a "motor replacement" for the wiper fluid tank.