General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bought 2009 Accord last night...loud engine this morning!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Default bought 2009 Accord last night...loud engine this morning!!

We bought a 2009 Accord last night!! Has 46,000 miles on it...love it...very sharp looking car! Turned it on this morning and the engine sounds very loud ....like a loud whining noise! We did notice when we test drove it last night that it did have a louder engine than normal, but thought maybe it was just a normal noise. It seems much louder this morning...we had a 98 accord that lasted us 295,000 miles and I don't remember any noise.

Please help and tell me this is normal....it is certified...so I am tempted to take it in and have it looked at. When I google it ...it seems like it is one of the cons of a 2009 accord.

Any advice??

It is a 2009 Honda Accord LX automatic 2.4L

Last edited by eberry4; 01-19-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM

Maybe the serpentine belt is bad and needs replaced.

You could record a video of the engine running (with the hood opened) with sound and put it on youtube, then put the link to it here... I've done that before. This way the experts don't have to guess what you're talking about.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks..I will do that! Hopefully they can tell me something...we will probably end up taking it back to the dealer to have it checked out...this is crazy!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM

08+ 2.4 are prone to whining noise under acceleration. My ex-wife has an 08 with 22K miles on it with same noise. When I first rode in it I was surprised at how loud it was compared to my 07

Old 01-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Default a youtube video of the sound the engine is making...hopefully this will help!

2009 honda accord loud engine sound - YouTube

Here is a youtube video of the sound it is making....when I am standing there it seems to be coming from the left side as I am facing the car.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by eberry4
2009 honda accord loud engine sound - YouTube

Here is a youtube video of the sound it is making....when I am standing there it seems to be coming from the left side as I am facing the car.

Thanks!
Maybe idler wheel. Definitely coming from serpentine belt area. Take her back to the dealership, they should certainly fix the problem, that is not normal

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Default took it to the dealer ....

Just got back from the dealer and it needs a new power steering pump. We live 1 1/2 hours from the dealer...they had to order the pump and it will come in next week. So now have to go back next week to have it put in. Could there be any other issues when the power steering pump goes bad?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Not really. Just make sure they change the o-rings on the lines to the pump and put in new power steering fluid, and you should be set.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Not really. Just make sure they change the o-rings on the lines to the pump and put in new power steering fluid, and you should be set.
Thank you! I had read that sometimes when the power steering goes bad it affects the alternator. I guess we are just scared now. We were so happy to have a decent car...and then the next day something happens. I also noticed on the way home that the headlights were dimming off and on ....almost like flickering but can't really call it a flicker.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to disconnect the battery and clean the battery terminals with a wire brush. You may also want to stop by a parts store and have the battery and alternator tested to be sure they are working properly.

Quick Reply: bought 2009 Accord last night...loud engine this morning!!