General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Default Brake fluid leaking

Hello all, been a while since I was on. Good to see some of the kind folks from a year ago still helping eveyone out.

Okay, question, my clutch pedal hit the floor all of a sudden. Got lucky and coasted into a lot. Brake fluid resevoir was empty. Filled it. Regained pressure. I've had many things going on and I forgot to check this issue out., Now, two weeks later, the same thing happened. This time I'm noticing a leak underneath, toward the front of the car. Uh Oh. I filled the resevoir back up, but I'm nervous to drive for too long.

Is this my slave or master cyclinder. Anyone have a diagram of these. Can I replace myself? How much for a mechanic to do this?FY

thanks all

FYI, clutch is less than a year old.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Brake fluid leaking

I just replaced master and slave on my daughter's 97 Acura 2.2CL (very similar to Accord). Both had leaks and slave had ruptured boot.

Yours could be either one or both. Look for evidence of brake fluid beneath the slave cylinder boot and squeeze boot to see if any fluid leaks out. Check inside of car on firewall for evidence of MC leaking. It may be prudent to replace both if there's iany doubt. It's not a bad job at all.

good luck

Old 02-02-2008, 06:43 PM

thanks for the reply, I just found this link here while searching:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_16960/tm.htm

Here' s a dumb question. Where do I access the slave cylinder, under hood or under car.

thanks

Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 PM

the slave cylinder is bolted to the tranny by two bolts.

the clutch master cylinder is bolted to the firewall by two nuts accessed from under the dash in the car.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Since you said it's leaking way up front, I'll say it's the slave cylinder (#11 in this picture).

You'll find it on the front of the bellhousing, down next to the radiator fan.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 PM

thanks for the diagram. Looks like I'll have to get under the car. But to be honest, I don't have ramps, it's cold, and I don;t have the part. Maybe it would be easier to let the mechanic do it. hmmm. What do you guys suggest? How much is this repair usually, including part?

thanks

Old 02-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I don't have a '96 but I bet the slave cylinder is easier to reach from above.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Indeed it is on my daughter's 97 Acura 2.2 CL, likely very similar layout.

good luck

Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 AM

So I just called the mechanic. Waiting for a price. He said that I should replace the master as well as the new pressure from the new slave would likely cause the master to blow out. Any thoughts on this. AND, is this a part I can get at an auto store. I really need to get this done ASAP.

I;m waiting for a quote from my mechanic

thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard that recommendation from a lot of people. I've got mixed feelings about it.

The fluid pressure in the system is determined by the spring forces of the pressure plate. You're not changing the pressure plate, so you're not really affecting the fluid pressure in the system. So the reason given can't be real.

But the recommendation is pretty common, so there's probably some basis for it. My best guess is the process of changing one of the components will loosen up any accumulated crud from the tubing. If the fluid has been changed faithfully every 2 years, and the lines are very clean, then I don't think it's necessary. OTOH it's not likely that a12-year-old car has a really cleanhydraulic system.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid leaking