General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Default Brake help

Got a '94 Honda Accord in sig below and the brake light just came on. Will the brake light come on when you need to replace the pads? Also, I replaced the pads 2 years ago and after 6 months or so, one of the pads was worn real crooked and needed to be replaced again. I was told it was the caliper. Does this sound right? How expensive is a caliper and how much trouble is it for me to do? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Brake help

There's no warning lamp that's directly for worn-out pads.

Is it the warning lamp for the handbrake? That can be a flaky switch down at the handbrake lever.

The same warning lamp is also triggered by low brake fluid in the reservoir.But if the fluid is OK,that might be a sticky float. I think there's a re-designed mesh screen for the reservoir so the float doesn't stick. Or look around here - somewhere there's a description of how you can cut the screen like the redesigned one.

As your brake pads wear out, fluid moves down into the calipers, to push out the pistons. The size of thefluid reservoir is about right for that warning lamp to go off when the pads are worn. Unless it leaks. Or unless you add fluid.

The real warning for worn-out pads is a little metal tab that rubs against the rotor. That makes a nasty screetching noise when you apply the brakes.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

The worn-crooked pad could be sticky caliper slide pins. If you're comfortable with taking apart the brake caliper, you can clean & re-grease those pins so they slide nicely in the caliper bracket.

You can also check if any of the pads are wedged tight in the caliper bracket; & fix that with a little filing & some grease.

There's also the chance that the caliper is actually messed up...

Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 AM

JimBlake already answered this better than I probably could have.
Forupdated filter info, search for threads by HondatechAV6. He even posted how you can DIY one with a pair of pruning shears if you are an ultimate cheapskate like I am[&:]

Old 05-03-2008, 01:12 PM

as explained above, a brake lamp is usually related to your parking brake (lever)

Also, i've had a brake light come on as a result of a burned bulb. Check all your bulbs (including the 3rd brake lamps)