General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Default Brake Job

My brakes is not as good as it was before. I once went to Honda to get transmission oil change and they said to get some kind of a brake job.

I don't want to take it to someone and get ripped-off on stuff that is not needed.

What do I need to do now? Do I need brake pads?

How much do they cost on average?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM

My boyfriend used to work at auto-zone and if you go there and buy new breaks and pads buy the kind with a life-time warranty. The caliper's run around 50 bucks per front/back. Pads run about the same... BUT remember you get the lifetime warranty. So its one time pay around 250 and never buy again... You just keep the receipt and every time you need new ones they are free. You can do it yourself, I'm a girl and can do mine so I know you could do your's, auto-zone also lets you rent the specific tools you need to do the brake job if you don't have them. Also, I know some places will put your brakes on for cheaper if you have the parts yourself. Its a lot of choices, this is just my opinion for ya.
And I know I kept referencing auto zone, there are many others you could go to as well, I just use them cause its familiar to me.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by kristech
My boyfriend used to work at auto-zone and if you go there and buy new breaks and pads buy the kind with a life-time warranty. The caliper's run around 50 bucks per front/back. Pads run about the same... BUT remember you get the lifetime warranty. So its one time pay around 250 and never buy again... You just keep the receipt and every time you need new ones they are free. You can do it yourself, I'm a girl and can do mine so I know you could do your's, auto-zone also lets you rent the specific tools you need to do the brake job if you don't have them. Also, I know some places will put your brakes on for cheaper if you have the parts yourself. Its a lot of choices, this is just my opinion for ya.
And I know I kept referencing auto zone, there are many others you could go to as well, I just use them cause its familiar to me.
How much will someone do the labor work on average?

Old 08-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Oh gosh I really don't know. I have never taken mine to a shop to do it... sorry I can't help ya out with that.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

When they said that you need a brake job, what parts did they want to replace? What is wrong with your brakes exactly?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:14 AM

You have to find out what do you really need for your "brake job", visual inspection for worn pads ? How are the rotors, are they undercut ?