General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Lamp fault light/ center and right side brake lights out

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Default Brake Lamp fault light/ center and right side brake lights out

Hello,

I have a 2002 Accord LX, 2.3L, 5-speed manual transmission, 4 door sedan with 254k on it. The brake lamp dash light went on recently, and upon inspection, only the driver's side brake light is working. Center light and passenger side lights are not. I have not noticed any other electrical issues with the car, other than an O2 sensor which is triggering the check engine light.

Like many home mechanics, I have a healthy aversion to electrical troubleshooting, but I'm willing to give it a try if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Is it possible the bulbs have just burned out

The third/high mount/center light is no part of the failure sensor so it could have been out for a long time without "tripping" the sensor....and now the pass/right side has gone out as well which did trip the sensor.

I'm just putting that out there as there isn't anything really common in the circuit between the high mount and the pass/right side brake light. So i would rather check the bulbs before digging out the volt meter and running a bunch of tests....but that is me.

PS _ I hate electrical issues as well

Old 02-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Highly likely due to bulbs burnt out.

The passenger side bulb is a dual filament, one filament lights up when the headlight or parking light switch is turned on; and the other filament when the brake pedal is depressed.

If the passenger side lights up with the headlight switch on, that means the negative ground ( - ) is okay. Both driver and passenger side brake lights positive power (+) runs through the Brake Light Failure Sensor. Since driver's side is okay and brake light failure sensor is lit, highly likely passenger side bulb brake light filament is burnt out.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:20 PM

Thanks, guys! I will check the passenger side bulb tomorrow. Also, how do I acces the center assembly? I've never had one of those burn out on me before.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

The following are instructions for the high mount and rear bulbs.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Lamp fault light/ center and right side brake lights out-high-mount.jpg   Brake Lamp fault light/ center and right side brake lights out-rear-bulbs.jpg