General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord Coupe: brake light and backing light on right side not working!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 95 Accord Coupe: brake light and backing light on right side not working!

The brake light on the right side would flash when I remotely lock or unlock my car, but it won't turn on when I brake. The backing light doesn't work at all. The turn signal light is working perfectly. I have switched the bulbs to the left side and they all work fine.

Does anybody know what could be the problem?

Extra: I also have a spoiler with the third light on it but the cables that powers it got disconnected and I have no idea how to reconnect it. There is no connector on it, just two stripped wires.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have an aftermarket....maybe dealer installed.....system on the car. They did not come factory with a system.

Just so I'm sure, right side is the pass side of the car.....correct?

Check the ground wire for continuity, well to ground. Check GRN/WHT wire from the failure sensor (left drivers side) for 12v to ground, then check for the same at the right pass side tail light socket.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:14 PM

poorman are you talking about a key-less remote system? Because they definitely had them OEM on the 6th gen, I had them on both of mine. (98 & 02)

Windphoenix;

You need to get the repair manual and track the issue back to the source. Start by checking the continuity at the actual brake light housing, A multimeter is needed for this. If that passes you will have to trace the wiring diagrams and follow them physically back to any junction / connection. Test at each connection to ensure you are getting continuity.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

But this is a 5th gen (94-97)......95.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/98-011.pdf

Last edited by poorman212; 08-06-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks a lot guys for your replies. For those who were wondering, yeah the keyless remote was is an aftermarket one that I had installed a couple of years back and it never gave me any problem in the past.

I managed to make the brake light work by wiggling and cleaning the connectors but didn't get lucky with the reverse light. Right now I don't have a voltmeter to check if I get any current to the bulb but I guess this can wait.

As for the spoiler brake light I checked online and found installation videos for other accord generations and it looked like the wiring was just a matter of plugging a connector somewhere. For mine, I have a dangling wire with no connector. In the past I kinda remember seeing that wire being connected somewhere under the trunk carpet but I might be mistaken. I can do a decent job at soldering wires but I don't know where it should be connected to. Can I just connect it in parallel with the passenger side brake light?

Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Just me but I think you need to "tie into" the GRN/WHT wire before the failure sensor.....at least that is how the factory wires are run.....

Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I managed to tie the spoiler brake light into the right side brake light. Everything works fine now.

Now the only light left to fix is my right side reverse light. According to a mechanic I consulted, he told me he had to open the transmission (or something else) to check the wiring and it would take a lot of time and money. He advised me not to fix it since my left one is working. Could I try to "tie in" the right reverse light with the left then?

Last edited by WindPhoenix; 08-09-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to guess he missed the part about the one reverse light working.....

If one is working, then the switch on the trans is working. If you have a volt meter check to see if power is getting to the socket.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't have a voltmeter but from all the posts I have read on this forum it seems to be a valuable tools to have. I'll probably get one soon and check the socket.

Thank you for your help poorman.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, even a ~$10 volt meter can answer/save a great amount of money.....being you test before replace/guess....if you get one that can do simple resistace and volt tests, you can solve most things.

My next suggestion would be a "good" set of metric wrenches and 1/4 drive sockets....pay more for the six point sets.