General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:25 AM
bryanboling
Unregistered
Default Brake Noises

I have a 98 Accord EX and I just changed the front brake pads. This is the first time I've done this myself but it was pretty straightforward.

A few weeks later, the brakes are making squeeling noises. I'm not sure when they started -I had always heard that it was common for new pads to squeel a bit at first, so I haven't paid that much attention to them. Now, I'm noticing a slight grinding sound occasionally. The squeel is not like the squeel when your pads are worn, it only happens when I brake and only occasionally. Not consistantly. I can't really detect a pattern of when it's happeneing either. The grinding noise only seems to happen in stop and go traffic or when I'm driving slow and braking frequently (ie driving through a parking lot looking for a space).

I've glanced at the rotors (haven't taken the wheel off and really looked yet) and it doesn't appear any different than normal (ie doesn't look like damage is being done). Any ideas what this may be?The squeel is more a nusiance than anything, but the grinding noise concerns me. I saved a bunch of $$ by changing the pads myself, I'd hate to think that I screwed it up and will end up costing me a lot more!

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 04-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Default RE: Brake Noises

there is some anti squeek spray that you can put on the back of the pads to prevent that... go to any local hardware store and ask about it and how to apply it and I'm sure they'll give you instructions.... did you have the rotors resurfaced when you did the job or were they completely smooth still?

Old 04-24-2007, 04:06 PM
bryanboling
Unregistered

The rotors were still smooth so I didn't do anything to them. I'll check on the spray stuff you mentioned.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Mine do that on occasion too. I think it's because they are not oem brake pads. I've heard that aftermarket ones have a tedency to make noises. Try that stuff sir nasty told u to use and please post back if it helps.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
bryanboling
Unregistered

Will do!

Old 04-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

There's alsoanti-squeal goopthat's more like grease, some is more like rubbery glue.

Either way, you put it on the steel backing plates of the brake pads, where the caliper pushes against it. Not on the actual surface that contacts the rotor.

It interferes with the pads doing their tiny little vibrations within the caliper bracket. If the greasy stuff isn't effective, try looking for the rubbery glue stuff.