General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Pedal Drop

Old 07-31-2007, 09:55 AM
faxtell
Unregistered
Default Brake Pedal Drop

Appreciate your responses in advance.

1 of 2 questions
I have a 1994 Accord, V-tec, 4drwith 118K that when it's warmed up and you applythe brakes quickly they are typically strong. But when you place your foot on the brake pedal and apply light pressureto slow down, they have been slowly sinking to the floor.Or as you’re stoppingand have almost come to a complete stop they may depressmorewithin the last 3seconds of your stop. This has started in the last 30 days and is getting worse each afternoon in the heat of the day.I assume this is similar to brake fade but more drastic.
My guess is the Master cylinder is going out or has a leak, but wanted to get some opinions before I call ourAuto parts store to order one. The brake reservoir is full and doesn't seem to lose any fluid.

Note: I decided to test their strength when this happens by pressing them to the floor after they faded and sure enough the front tires locked up. So their is strong braking but for how long I'm not sure, so I want to get it dealt with right away.

2 of 2 questions
I have not checked the brake pads but don't believe they are bad,I will be checking them before ordering Master cylinder. If the brake pads are getting warn they would not cause the pedal to appear firm then fade down about another 3-4 inches would they?

Thanks for your help...

Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Brake Pedal Drop

That's classic for a bad master cylinder. Bleeding/flushing with fresh fluid might fix it for a week or 2 but not REALLY fixed.

Do check your brake pads, but they won't cause THIS problem.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 AM
faxtell
Unregistered

Thank you JimBlake...

Would anyone have a directions on changing the master cylinder? I have ordered it from the Auto Parts store already...

Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Well this is an unhappy irony.... someone else is going through the exact same thing....

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_69485/tm.htm

Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 PM

Yes, you need to replace the master cylinder. I do too on my '95 V6. Here is a link to deserthonda's "how to": https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/HOW...m_18149/tm.htm

Good luck!

I plan on doing this in the next few weeks.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:21 PM
haleydr
Unregistered

the master cylinder is a pretty straight-forward install. Mainly bolts on and off. The important thing is bench-bleeding the cylinder, and the the entire system after it is install. The master cylinder should come with a kit to bench bleed it. Shouldn't take more the 2-3 hours.