General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Proportioning Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Brake Proportioning Valve

Was working on wife's car and noticed fluid around the brake proportioning valve. Looked like some coming out of what looked like a weep hole, and some fluid around one of the back lines. How hard is it to change one of these. Or should I leave it to a professional to do it. I've circled the line that has fluid leaking, and you can kind of see fluid on the wheel well next to the valve. The weep hole is on the front side in the middle of the valve. The car is a 1993 Accord LX, Automatic, 4 Dr.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Brake Proportioning Valve-propotioning-valve.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've never removed this component, but any work on brake lines must use the flare tubing wrench (10mm) to loosen or tighten the tubing nut. It is usually very tight and will be rounded off if you try to use an open-end 10mm wrench. The flare tubing wrench is like a closed end wrench w/ small slot (3-5mm) to allow the wrench to be slipped over the tubing and enage the end nut.

It could be a defective component or simply a loose nut. It might be worth attempting to tighten the nut, but you'll need a restraint wrench (open end) to engage the hex shaped body of the proportioning valve.

good luck

Old 02-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah I do have that wrench, bought it when I changed the Master cylinder. The problem is the line that's leaking is on the back side of the valve and you can't really get a good grip on it. May try to take out the mount bolts for the valve just so I can gain good access to the line. Would this leaking cause the brakes to feel a little soft?

Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Any leak would cause brake softening under brake pedal pressure. If it's leaking it needs to be repaired.

good luck

Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies

That's what I was thinking. Like I said, it looked like it was leaking out of the weep hole on the front side of the valve also. I'm assuming it's a weep hole. Will have to change as soon as I can scrounge up the money for it. Thanks for the help fellas.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:03 AM

Hey my 93 just started having the exact same problem. There's a '91 thats being parted out in my area but the part #s aren't exactly the same, just a couple digits off. I think I blew a seal in it a few weeks ago while testing the master cylinder with extreme foot pressure on the pedal. (I bought the cheap made in China master-c from O'rielly that doesn't line up straight and it makes a clicking noise every so often) Anyone know if this part is rebuildable? I think it has tamper resistant screws holding the two sides and mounting bracket together. If not then I guess I'm shelling out $140 for new OEM if they have any.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure, but it may be that rear disk vs rear drum use different proportioning valve.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:52 AM

Did any of you change out the proportioning valve with a new one? I just discovered a leak in mine on a 97 model without ABS. Looks like fluid is leaking from one of the lower fittings. Just wondering if this is a simple or difficult task. I just purchased a set of flare nut wrenches to tighten the fitting as a first step to see if that fixes the leak.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
Did any of you change out the proportioning valve with a new one? I just discovered a leak in mine on a 97 model without ABS. Looks like fluid is leaking from one of the lower fittings. Just wondering if this is a simple or difficult task. I just purchased a set of flare nut wrenches to tighten the fitting as a first step to see if that fixes the leak.
The leak is not at the fittings as I originally thought, but rather from the weep hole at the front of the valve that the OP refers to. I believe the hole is normally plugged with a rubber stopper.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

I think it is actually a metal "ball"...sounds like time for a trip to the local bone yard.

Quick Reply: Brake Proportioning Valve