General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Warning TCS and ABS Lights All Staying On

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Default Brake Warning TCS and ABS Lights All Staying On

Yesterday I am just motoring along at 50mph on a from-work commute in my 03 EX V6 and my brake warning light comes on and stays on. Then I look up at the cluster and notice that the ABS and TCS warning lights are on also. The brakes seem to be working fine. I stopped the car and shut it off. When I restarted the car, the brake warning light came on with the key, but the ABS and TCS lights didn't. But, then they came on about 30 seconds later and stayed on.

Any thoughts? I am in Oklahoma and it was 102 yesterday when this occured (the engine temp was normal though).

Thanks in advance to all you out there in tech land.

Brad

PS I have owned this car since new and it has 82k of flawlessly reliable miles on it - my favorite car ever.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Brake Warning TCS and ABS Lights All Staying On

Many things can be wrong w/ ABS, but the ABS/TCS controller will provide clues w/ trouble codes. Earlier models could be interrogated by shorting the service check connector under the glove box (2 wire usually blue connector). Turn keyswitch to ON and ABS will flash codes w/ all short flashes (f) w/ pause (p) between 1st and 2nd digit so 4-1 is ffff-p-f. If you can get the codes, we might be able to help.

Only way to be sure is to get a service manual for your model and determine how codes can be extracted. Perhaps others have a 2003 model.

good luck

Old 08-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Default RE: Brake Warning TCS and ABS Lights All Staying On

Thanks Texas Honda!
I was able to verify that the ABS and the TCS are both working since my last post.
Also, I found that there is a TSB which appears to be on this subject. It is:

Make : HONDA
Model : ACCORD
Year : 2003

Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)

Service Bulletin Number : 10162004
Date of Bulletin : OCT 16, 2004

NHTSA Item Number : 10014472

Component : SERVICE BRAKES, AIR:ANTILOCK:ABS WARNING LIGHT

Does anyone know how to get a copy of that TSB?

Thanks,
Brad

Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Jess02M
Unregistered

I have the same problem...my TCS, brake and ABS lights are all on and stay on. The Honda dealer said it's a computer issue and the entire computer needs to be replaced. $1,000 part + labor. How did you resolve your problem?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

You need to understand that NTSB assigns their own their own numbers to service bulletins with no rhyme or reason, I've even seen the bulletin dates be off by more than 9 months.

Typical government procedure, that is, to be of no help to american taxpayers.

I seem to remember, that year had some problems with the rear wheel speed sensors.
It would be helpful to know the actual DTC code for the fault.