General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes making noise after replacing.. Common?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Default Brakes making noise after replacing.. Common?

I have an 04 Honda Accord with 70k miles on it and just replaced the front brake pads. The rotors probably could have been turned, but they are still in pretty decent shape.
I just had my brakes done at the Honda dealership about 25k miles ago n for some reason my front pads were shot and rear pads still have atleast 50% more life on them... Is this common? I drive fairly conservative n dont ever brake or accelerate real hard..
Anyhow i'll wait until next time to do all 4 brakes n rotors.

The replacement went well.. I replaced the pads.. Greased all that needed to be greased and reassembled. When I first drove it out of the garage n down the street the brakes were making a rubbing/squealing sound even when I wasnt pressing on the brakes.. As I increased speed the noises became louder n more consistent. After I seated the pads (4 quick stops from 35mph.. Then 4 quick stops from 45) it seemed a little better so then I jumped on the highway and all noises disappeared almost immediately. I drove may 6-7 miles before I ended up back home. The noises have since ceased and the brakes work great. Is this noise common at first? Until the pads//rotors acclimate? I've never had this happen before, but then again this is my first time replacing on a honda

Thanks
Jay

Old 06-22-2011, 12:23 PM

On a side note.. The new pads are Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic pads and the rotors are the originals