General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes update

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 AM
JPX
Smile Brakes update

I'm not sure where to post this but I just got off the phone with my Honda dealer complaining about my brakes for the 3rd time on my 09 v6 coupe and finally they told me some good news. This is what they said, new brake pads are going to be released by Honda within the next couple of weeks (September/October) to fix all the squeaking problems and wearing issues and as far as being covered they will be replaced under warranty as long as your car is still under warranty. From my understanding that is 12 months or 12,000 miles on breaks since they are tec. trim items. If not I would still try to press my point and get them under the 3/36,000. So there is my latest, hope it helps, good luck to everyone we all know it took long enough!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Is this issue primarily with 2009 Accords?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

It's been a mild issue with nearly every car since asbestos was banned from brake pads.

Some materials (organic) make lots of dust.
Some (semi-metallic) grind away the rotors faster.
Some make more noise, some are too grabby, others have any number of issues.

Car designers seem to be fooling around with compounds trying to find something that makes everybody happy. I doubt they'll make EVERYBODY happy.

I've liked MetalMaster pads for a long time. Better braking power, but they grind down the rotors faster. And make more dust. For ME(!) I'll take that in order to get the better braking power. Lately I've become a fan of Hawk HPS pads.

There's a joke about brakes... In Germany it doesn't matter if they squeak, as long as they work well. In America, it doesn't matter if they work, as long as they're silent.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 PM

What's primary compound in Hawk HPS pads? I was thinking of just buying OEM brake pads when it came time to do the brakes, but since I value your input I'll definitely look at these.

My brakes emit a slight squeal during the mid point in braking. I recently had the brakes inspected as part of a free service and they stated that I had 60% up front and 70% out back of brake pad life left. So, theyr still good, just making noise.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

TireRack just calls it "Ferro-Carbon" which probably means it's some kind of semi-metallic. They don't use the word "ceramic" in there, but the compound is probably proprietary anyway. Seems like there's not as much visible metal in there, compared to my recollection of Metal-Master pads.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...tnum=HB362F642

My (former) 2003 Accord had very grabby brakes. If yours are like that, you might not want to go towards a pad with greater "stopping power". My daughter (who drove that car) liked them that way, so when the time came, I used factory pads.

My Saabaru WRX had somewhat weak brakes, and the Hawk HPS pads were a tremendous improvement. Eliminated my thoughts about buying a big-brake ($$) package.

Hondadude has written about his favorite pads (for dust & noise) but I can't remember what kind he liked. Look for threads where he answers brake questions.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 AM

Yep, they sure are grabby. The few people I have let drive the car have commented how "good" the brakes work and that they might be working a tad too well due to the 'grabbiness'. Lol. Is that a word?!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Oh yeah, my favorite flavor has been Wagner ThermalQuiet.
After 98 the honda pads are so hard, if you clink them together it sounds like bricks.
They cause rotors to glaze, and then you get that high pitched noise that makes your teeth grind.
But, here we go again.............
The people got exactly what they wanted with their whining and crying complaints to the JD Powers surveys.
Waaa Waaa Waaa "We want brake pads to last forever so we can drive like racecar drivers."