General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break Light Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Question Break Light Problem?

Hello everyone,

I hope that all is well.. I have a 2006 Honda Accord EX 2dr Cpe.. The problem that I am having is my break lights sometimes work and sometimes they don't. At first I was thinking a fuse but I had that checked it was fine, then I was thinking a break light switch but I don't have trouble shifting my car out of park and when I press on the break I always hear that clicking sound. Again, at times all three (Left, Right and Center) will work fine but then they just stop. What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Karen

Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

How do you know when brake lights are working or not?

A sticky brake pedal switch can cause this problem, but I would have thought you would also see problems w/ shift interlock when this occurs.

Suggest a heavy dose of WD40 on the brake pedal switch. This worked for me on Acura TL as a permanent fix.

good luck

Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
How do you know when brake lights are working or not?

A sticky brake pedal switch can cause this problem, but I would have thought you would also see problems w/ shift interlock when this occurs.

Suggest a heavy dose of WD40 on the brake pedal switch. This worked for me on Acura TL as a permanent fix.

good luck
Thanks for getting back to me.. I usually park in the garage and can see the lights on the wall and I also usually have someone get out and take a look.. sometimes when I press the break they will flicker for a sec then stop working all together, so you think it is the break switch? the only problem I am not having is shifting out of park.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

If it turns out to be the switch, refer to this thread and the link in it for how to replace the switch. The switch retails for about $7.62 from Honda. The part cost may be higher now, as Honda is starting to raise the prices on parts.

honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2826101