General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking break light

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Default parking break light

does anyone have this problem with a 01 accord ex? on somedays (mostly when its cold) my parking break light stays on, even if i put the parking break down! eventually it goes away after driving the car for a while. Sometimes it goes away when i press on the break while driving, but once off the break it comes on again....

so does anyone have any idea wuts wrong or w/e, should i go have it checked at a shop or at honda? i know for a fact that even if the parking break light is still on, the parking brake isnt applied while i drive. it might just be the light or the cold, but i just wanna get other peoples oppinions

Old 07-07-2007, 03:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: parking break light

have you checked your brake fluid level? IIRC, that indicator means more than just the parking brake is on...

Old 07-07-2007, 11:15 AM

everythings topped off as it goes for breaks, and i know that the break pads aren't worn out, and i know i dont have a burnt out break light. I bought the car used off a honda dealership in August of last year and it hasn't been over a year old so far.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I think some models have a faulty reed switch in the float located in the brake fluid reservoir. There is a TSB on this issue. See following link.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/rec..._03078/TSB.htm

I experienced this w/ my 97 Acura TL. It comes and goes, but seems worse in winter when temps are cold. I pulled and inspected the switch but could find no fault, so I reinstalled. I thought the float might be sticking or filled w/ fluid, but no. Its a minor aggravation, and harmless as long as you know what it is.

A used part from an earlier model could probably be substituted to fix.

good luck

Old 10-25-2007, 01:53 PM

Mine just did it this morning here aswell, first day of cold weather too. It went away after 5 miles or so. *shrugs* Everything is up to spec aswell, pads, bulbs, and fluids. Sticky switch is my guess?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:10 PM

Sorry ....

Old 10-25-2007, 02:14 PM

Depends on your description of "cold" ..... could have water in the cable housing freezing and holding the brake on. From your other posts, I gathered that you have an auto (should be in the signature) and may have other rear brake issues. With an automatic, there is really no reason to engage the handbrake. You're better off leaving it off so if there is water in the cable housing, it won't freeze the rear brakes on.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:16 PM

most likely it need the master cylinder reservoir cover ( switch ) I have seen it a few times ,
if fluid level is ok, when lite is on, remove the cap , slide the switch ( plunger ) up and down a few times, if lite goes off, replace the master cylinder reservoir cover..

Old 10-25-2007, 02:29 PM

^ It's cheap too if you need a new one. Here's the genuine Honda part - #11: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+POWER+%281%29

Old 10-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Why guess?You cancheck it...

2 wires come from the brake fluid reservoir cap. Unplug them & check. (As a diagnostic. Don't leave them unplugged.) If it happens regularly, & unplugging the wire makes it stop, then you know it's a bad float.

Sometimes the float hangs up on the mesh screen basket inside the reservoir. Gotta look & see what's happening.

Quick Reply: parking break light