General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Broken wheel stud!!! 2000 accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Default Broken wheel stud!!! 2000 accord

Help! I managed to break off a wheel stud on the drivers side front wheel while rotating tires...duh. In days gone by, a sharp blow with a heavy hammer would drive out the broken stud and a new one drawn in with washers and nut. Not on this beast. Can't even see the back of the hub! Can't believe that the whole hub and steering knuckle has to come apart to replace a $2 part. Whats the easiest/cheapest way to replace a wheel stud?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Broken wheel stud!!! 2000 accord

Can’t believe that the whole hub and steering knuckle has to come apart to replace a $2 part.
welcome to honda

yea unless theres a way to ghetto-rig a fix for the hub, i would think the only way to fix it is the way that you said.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:18 PM

Tell me it aint so!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:20 PM

sorry about all the garbage text. dont know why it happened.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

After removing the brake rotor, sometimes you can spin the hub & find a recess in the steering knuckle giving enough clearanceso the stud can be removed. I don't know if that's true for the 2000 Accord...

Otherwise, you gotta take the steering knuckle out. Big axle nut & 3 balljoints but it's not a bad job. Then press the hub out from the wheelbearing. Are you sitting down? That normally destroys the bearing so you'll need a new wheel bearing too.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 AM

Gezz,what werethe Honda engineers thinking when they designedthis assembly??? The wheel lug nuts get taken off and put back on several times a year, rotating tires and etc.. The chances of breaking off a stud increase everytime. Now, I have another expensive repair because a $2 part failed. I can't believe that the designers couldn't foresee this happening;maybe,they just didn't care.More likely, forward thinking marketing. Honda is another vertical marketing company that wants to keep you tethered to their organization for their expensive parts and service. Pardon my rant; but, I'm really peeved about now *!*@#$$$$$$

Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

try something,,,,,,remove the broken stud,( remove the rotor, caliper out of the way ) you should be able to hammer it out,, get a new stud from honda, grind off almost 3/8 -1/2 of it so it has a flat surface,( from the rear part of course) that might give you enough clearance to hammer it back in ..you might have to bent the backing plate out of the way..

I used to do a lot of wheel studs this way and never had a problem,, the thing is , it was on the earlier models , i have not done one yet on a 2000 , so i am not sure of the clearance back there,, but hey ,if does not work all you are out is the 3-4 dollars for the stud ,,

try it and let us know

Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a link for replacing the stud on earlier accords. This might work for you. Its basically what deserthonda mentioned but using an lugnut to seat the new stud.

http://spyfunkr.com/accord/studrepl.htm

Old 06-05-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll take it apart again and check it more closely.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 PM

Just got a chance to take another look. No way are any of these short cuts gonna work. The hub has to come off the knuckle to gain access to the studs!May betime to go car shopping. ;-)

Quick Reply: Broken wheel stud!!! 2000 accord