General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 1992 DX, temp gauge stayed cold during test drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 PM
satchmo
Unregistered
Default Buying 1992 DX, temp gauge stayed cold during test drive

noob here...

I drove this vehicle for a full 20 minutes, and I am ready to pay the $1500 cash because it ran very well.

1992 Accord DX, 170k, auto, cold-air intake

Only one issue came up. The subject says it all. More specifically, the temperature gauge fluctuated between 0 and 1/4. Never made it past 1/4, and fluctuations were not erratic, just random. Car was warm, but don't think it was overheating. The owner claimed to have no idea what was going on.

Some of the posts here suggest a replacement of the sending unit. Any other possible suggestions? A nicely running accord for $1500 seems like a great deal, I just don't want to walk into a big problem I can't afford.

Thanks!
-s

Old 01-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Buying 1992 DX, temp gauge stayed cold during test drive

Its either the temp sending unit, temp gauge, or thermostat.

You can pull the connection on it and have someone else watch to see if the gauge raises to Hot. You don't want to have it disconnected for too long, because you can mess up the needle on the gauge.

Do the cooling fans come on at all when the engine is running? Also, does the top radiator hose feel as hot as the lower one?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Buying 1992 DX, temp gauge stayed cold during test drive

Erratic temperature can be a signal of head gasket problems. This is pretty expensive to repair, relative to your car's value. Check oil on dipstick for any yellow/white foamy emulsion. Look under valve cover oil cap also for emulsion. Rev car when engine is cold and look at coolant w/ radiator cap removed for any evidence of bubbling and gasoline smell from coolant. Any evidence of coolant loss? Look for excess amount of extremely white vapor from exhaust w/ fully warmed engine.

Probably not a head gasket, but you don't want to find out afterwards.

Otherwise, sending unit or sticky thermostat could be the problem.

good luck