General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Used 94 Accord, gonna be my first car... Need Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Default Buying a Used 94 Accord, gonna be my first car... Need Help!!!!

Hey Everyone,
Im Zai, i'm a student and i live in Ukraine ,i'm new on this forum and this would be my first post.. planning to buy a car very soon , didnt want my first car to be a Daewoo or a Lada . I always liked Honda's so decided to buy it finally ... I do know a little bout cars but im not an expert on it and since this would be my first i'd really appreciate any suggestions or tips you guys could share with me on this forum... i do have a few question, hope you guys can help me out with them too...

1.The honda accord we get here is the euro model which you can see on the following link http://www.cardomain.com/ride/815624 , are their any major differences between the two models?

2.1994 Honda Accords thats run 190000+ KM are being sold here for about 5-6000 $ ,is there anything i could specifically check on the car apart from replacing the timing belt and water pump during inspection before purchase?

3.What are the running costs of a well maintained 94 accord ? are the spares too expensive?Where can i find spare parts for a Euro model?

4.My other option is a 95 Honda Civic (Sedan / Hatchback) for about 500$ less, Which of the two would be more reliable and easy to maintain as i would going back home once my education is done ,Say 3 years?

5.Found a few Honda Accords fitted with GAS installation that run both on Petrol and Gas , do such HYBRID cars have any sort of disadvantage?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

1 - It's probably quite similar to the USA car, it was beginning in 1998 that it was a whole different car. Engine choices (smaller displacement) is probably the big difference.

2 - Check for rust at the top of the rear wheel arch, and also between the rear wheel & the door. See if you can measure compression. Maybe find a mechanic that works on Hondas & have him do an inspection for you (that's pretty common here anyway).

3 - I don't think it makes sense to guess your costs based on our experience. For that matter, different parts of the USA have very different cost for an hour of mechanic's time.

4 - Both are 15-16 years old, and the costs depend on how beat-up each car is. Unless one (Accord vs. Civic) is particularly rare back home, then I'd judge by the condition of each car. Accord should give more safety in a crash just because it's bigger.

5 - I hear that's sorta common over there. The disadvantage is the space & weight taken up by the extra equipment, and the cost to install it. If that's not a problem for YOU, then it's probably a good deal. Around here we have different terminology...
petrol = gasoline
GAS = LP gas (propane)