General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bypass FITV

Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Bypass FITV

1994 Honda Accord LX 195K miles

There is a bell shaped header on the FITV with a metal nipple where the coolant exits the FITV thru a rubber hose. . There is another nipple on the underside of the FITV, that brings the coolant to the valve. Since my first nipple on the header broke, I connected the in and out rubber hoses together and bypassed the FITV.

Now the idle speed yo yo s up and down. Is there any thing I can do to get it to idle at at a constant speed? This musical idle is really annoying. I don't want to get the FITV off the TB. I really don't care what speed it idles at, as long as it is constant.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Easiest fix is to get a used FITV from salvage yard, install and hook the hose up correctly.

Engine may not start easily if FITV is closed permanently. I'm not sure how this might be accomplished, but have read of others adjusting the FITV to obtain correct performance. So it may be possible to adjust where it never opens.

Idle oscillating occurs because the FITV is stuck open (thermowax acutator). W/ no warm water to FITV to cause it to close, the FITV remains open too long. It should eventually close as entire engine and FITV warm.

Check car-part.com for location of a throttle body assembly near you. You won't find the FITV as a separate part. The entire throttle body can be purchased for < $50. A new part from Honda may be competitive in price. I haven't checked.

good luck

Old 01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Since the FITV should close completely when the engine's warmed up, you'll want to block the air-flow pathway completely. Like maybe a gasket without a hole cut out??

Or fill the air passageway with RTV silicone - but use stuff that says it's OK for oxygen sensors. And let it cure COMPLETELY before you run it.

My favorite method would be to get an FITV that works.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Supper Moderator

To the OP I have a TB if you want it. PM me if you do.