General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C component relacment

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:50 AM
Default A/C component relacment

Hi Yall

Ill be replacing my entire A/C system which is a/c compressor, condenser, expansion valve, etc.. pretty much everything except the lines. My accord manual states that if im replacing condenser add 35 mL of oil, same with evaporator at 35mL of oil. given my new compressor is pre oiled. im not sure if I need to subtract oil from new compressor since im replacing all parts or do I just leave new compressors oil in place and add more of the recommended amount based on the parts being replaced. Another words what is the total amount of oil needed in the system with all new parts and what is included in compressor. Pls help looking to do this within the next few days.

Got an 09 accord EX coupe.

Last edited by sistoz11; 05-06-2019 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
I'm moving this to General Tech because we like to use the DIY area to post detailed instructions. So if you happen to take some photos & want to write up instructions that's what we would put into the DIY area.

Over in General Tech there's people with a lot more A/C experience than me to answer your question.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by sistoz11
Hi Yall

Ill be replacing my entire A/C system which is a/c compressor, condenser, expansion valve, etc.. pretty much everything except the lines. My accord manual states that if im replacing condenser add 35 mL of oil, same with evaporator at 35mL of oil. given my new compressor is pre oiled. im not sure if I need to subtract oil from new compressor since im replacing all parts or do I just leave new compressors oil in place and add more of the recommended amount based on the parts being replaced. Another words what is the total amount of oil needed in the system with all new parts and what is included in compressor. Pls help looking to do this within the next few days.

Got an 09 accord EX coupe.
From what I understand, you're supposed to drain the oil out of the new compressor first. The oil currently in the new compressor is there from assembly, and to keep the internals from rusting. By draining it, you then add the correct amount of pag oil needed for your application.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:42 PM

Ya thx but since im replacing all a/c components im still wondering how much oil I need. I have a service manual and all its stating is drain old oiled from old compressor and do the same with new compressor than subtract the volume of oil from old compressor to 82 mL but it don't specify if all components are replaced at the same time. im thinking this manual is only saying to subtract the volume of oil from new to old if only replacing the compressor.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Did the new compressor state how much oil was added?

Old 05-06-2019, 11:34 PM

No the manufacture manual didn't state how much oil comes in compressor. Hondas manual states when its a new compressor it has 2 7/9 oz. of oil.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by sistoz11
No the manufacture manual didn't state how much oil comes in compressor. Hondas manual states when its a new compressor it has 2 7/9 oz. of oil.
You would think in the service manual there would a total amount of oil required for the entire system. Unless they're giving totals for each component that you have to add up and get a total.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 PM

I own the actual service manual that Honda technicians have. It states to compare both oil levels when replacing new compressor than subtract old oil amount from 2 7/9oz. than that amount is what you remove from new compressor. But this only applies to replacing just the compressor alone. The manual also states that if replacing other components such as condenser add 1 1/5 oz oil, if replacing evaporator add another 1 1/5 oz oil. also the line replacement states to add 1/3oz. I seen a few youtube videos and I replied to a question. Guy responded saying to leave oil in new compressor than add an additional 3oz. to compensate for all the parts im replacing. Im going to go with this I was just uncertain as to how much. Wish me luck. lol