General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C compressor bad... Options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default A/C compressor bad... Options?

Hello guys, hope someone can give me some good advice.

I've got a 1994 Accord LX beater that I'm trying to keep running without spending any real money.

Is it possible to replace the serpentine belt with a NON A/C belt and either go around or remove the A/C compressor from the car?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide

Old 05-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Yes, there is a "no-AC" belt available. It goes from crankshaft pulley to alternator directly. I used this while repairing my 94 EX.

What are your AC symptoms? Any interest in repair?

good luck

Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks TexasHonda.

I appreciate the info very much.

No interest in repairing it. This poor old car really REALLY is a beater. Any sane person would have hauled it away to the junkyard years ago. Quite honestly, there's more rust at this point than there is car left... But the darn thing just won't die.

I keep it around for doing dirty jobs or loaning out when my ex-wife's in need of transportation.

It was making a horrible rattle/grinding sound, and the belt would squeak for the first 30-40 seconds every time it was started. It finally chewed up the belt and threw it off a couple days ago. When I turned the A/C compressor by hand, it made a grinding sound and only went round about 1/2 turn before it became almost too tight to turn by hand, so I'm guessing that's where my problem is.

Tried finding one at a junkyard sunday but no luck, and Autozone wants $300 for a new one.... No thanks. Not on a car that's not worth $500 and has 270k miles on it.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

If you want to repair, check out car-part.com. It lists junkyard's (that subscribe to the site) parts by price or distance. You may find a cheap compressor in your area.

If you decide to go with no a/c, I think you will have to remove the compressor to install the belt for the DX (no a/c version of the 94 accord).

Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Pir8Darryl

I keep it around for doing dirty jobs or loaning out when my ex-wife's in need of transportation.
you're just keeping it around hoping your ex-wife will start thinking twice before calling you to borrow it

Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Actually, I keep bald tires on it and I've got a million dollar life insurance policy on her... She's more than welcome to borrow it whenever it rains. LOL

Seriously tho, I just completed the repair, and the non-A/C belt went right on with no issues. Didn't have to remove the compressor or make any modifications whatsoever. Big thanks to you guys for helping me sort that out