General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C does not seem to operate efficiently

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Default A/C does not seem to operate efficiently

Hello,

At the beginning of summer, I realized that the A/C is not working in my '94 Accord EX. It was, in fact blowing hot air... hotter than outside air. So I had a friend of mine take a look at it. He put a can and a half worth of freon in the system and A/C started blowing cold air. However, the air is still not as cold as it should normally be. My car parks in the shade and is usually cool inside, but when I drive, it blows air that is just a bit colder than normal air. I have seen other cars blowing much colder air at fan level 2 or 3, which is what I set my A/C at.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A/C does not seem to operate efficiently

Check that both radiator fans turn on when you turn on the A/C.

Also, make sure that the clutch plate on the compressor pulley engages when the A/C is turned on and it spins at the same rate as the pulley.

I would use an A/C manifold to test the A/C charge. I would not add R134a blindly and risk overcharging the system.

Check all connections of the A/C lines and the compressor for buildup of dirt/oil, because that would indicate a leak at that location.

Good Luck.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If the can and a half of freon was added with a guage, you have a leak somewhere. UV dye should have been added to help locate the leak. If you are able to find it, the leak has to be fixed and the system should be held under a strong vacuum for a while .... like a half hour or so to get all of the moist air out of the system, then recharged. Water in the freon degrades the system and hurts efficiency.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:46 PM

Sorry for being a newbie, but what am I looking for when I want to check if both radiator fans are on?

"Also, make sure that the clutch plate on the compressor pulley engages when the A/C is turned on and it spins at the same rate as the pulley." Same question, what am I looking for?

As for the leak in the system, I would lose the gas thus thereby losing the ability to cool the cabin, however, when I we fed the R134a, why was did the A/C not blow very cold air? Why was it moderately cold? I understand that the leak in the system will eventually result in total loss of gas, thus shutting the compressor down, but less cold air seems like inefficient heat-exchange process to me.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If there is good airflow from the outlets, airflow isn't the problem. It would be more efficient to have a new cabin air filter, but that won't change hot air to cold air.

Ragarding adding the freon, I can't really comment on that because I'd have to see what was done and how, first hand.

To check the fans, run the car with the AC on and both fans should run. For the compressor clutch, you should be able to see or hear if it is slipping.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn on the A/C look at the two fans in the front of the engine bay that cool the radiator. Both should be running when the A/C is turned on.

As for the A/C clutch, you need to find to the compressor. The compressor has a pulley and is below the alternator in the engine bay (they share the same belt). The clutch plate is the cap that on the outside of the pulley on the compressor. If you start the car with the a/c off, the plate does not move with the pulley. When you turn on the A/C, you should see that plate spin with the pulley, because the magnetic clutch engages that plate to the pulley.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 PM

You have to realize you can;t just add freon and expect it to be as cold as it should. Take it to a shop, they will first vacum it which is very important then fill it with freon and add a dye and check for leaks. If the old freon leaked out the air has leaked in. In most cases its a small leak which has taken a long time to lose the freon. Just get it vacumed and get the air out and have it charged

Old 06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: abhijitgp

Sorry for being a newbie, but what am I looking for when I want to check if both radiator fans are on?

"Also, make sure that the clutch plate on the compressor pulley engages when the A/C is turned on and it spins at the same rate as the pulley." Same question, what am I looking for?

As for the leak in the system, I would lose the gas thus thereby losing the ability to cool the cabin, however, when I we fed the R134a, why was did the A/C not blow very cold air? Why was it moderately cold? I understand that the leak in the system will eventually result in total loss of gas, thus shutting the compressor down, but less cold air seems like inefficient heat-exchange process to me.
There you go New Member..Eric123 and PA Honda have your best and correct answers that you asked Help on...

WheelBrokerAng