General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Default A/C issues

Hello all. I am the happy owner of a 99 Accord LX 4cyl. The car has a strong engine if not great paint job. My air conditioning is causing problems and being in Florida it not something to wait around on.

My air conditioner will stop cooling the air at random. If I am drivind and I have the a/c on it will keep blowing but stop cooling it. The lights on the a/c cluster will turn off as if there is no power going to it. The fan will continue to blow fine and strong...but nothing cool is coming out. Then without cause it will start to blow cold air again a while later and the lights on the a/c cluster will come back on.

I was told by the previous owner that the belts, hoses, water pump and timing belt were all changed. As well as the driver side fan. I can see that this is the case. He also said he had the a/c charged. That i cannot see.

After reading some posts here and elsewhere I am leaning towards a bad a/c clutch. If anyone else can offer advise it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The AC switch light going off suggests a fault in that circuit rather than the AC compressor clutch. When AC switch circuit opens, the ECU disables the compressor clutch coil by denying ground to AC compressor relay.

Things to check w/ AC is non-functional:
1) AC switch could be opening. Bad switch. Check w/ Volt-Ohm Meter.
2) AC thermostat could be opening. faulty thermostat or temp sensor in evaporator. Check both.
3) Intermittent AC pressure switch (opening when it should be closed). Check for short across switch connector pins w/ connector removed. If open, you need a new pressure switch.

You need a shop manual to help. Check ebay seller automanualsource for a manual for your vehicle.

good luck

Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 PM

Would this be more support for the faulty a/c circuit? Ever since I purchased the car the d4 light in the instrument cluster would not light up. All of the others do but not the dr. never really cared. While driving the car about 20 minutes ago I smacked the dash above the cluster and now it lights up. who knew

Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I don't understand the link. Did the AC suddenly start working when you splapped the dashboard?

good luck

Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 PM

Do all the lights on the control panel go out when it quits cooling, like the recycle light and position light? If so you need a new climate control panel. I got mine on ebay for about $50.